Today is my fortieth birthday. Because I love to cook and eat, it got me to thinking about how much eating I've done so far in this life...and to do a bit of math.
If you assume that I've eaten 3 meals a day, which given my habits is fairly reasonable, then the following is likely. Add in some basic food consumption averages from the USDA and you get some pretty interesting numbers. Now I realize there are all kinds of problems with this analysis, including that patterns have changed since 1967 and that I'm not an average eater, but I still think it's likely in the ballpark and fun. So, I have roughly eaten:
8,000 lbs of meat, poultry and fish
8,000 lbs of grains
1,100 lbs of cheese
too few fruits and vegetable, and a total of...
88,000,000 calories (yes 88 million!), but who's counting.
Not sure what my diet and consumption will look like over the next 40 years, but I'm looking forward to finding out!
I found some other interesting birthday food blog posts; birthdays and food just seem to go together:
Anne's Food has been blogging about her birthday for several years;
Words to Eat By shared what she got from hubby on 40th;
Megnut talked about Tony Bourdain's 50th blowout, now I have something to aspire to and 10 years to plan.
and we have few interesting Birthday Recipes on Foodista.com as well.
- Infographic: A Guide to Eating Free on Your Birthday
- 6 Global Good-Luck Meals to Eat on New Year's Day
- Gluten Free Sugar Cookies
- Birthday Pancakes
- What the World Eats at New Year's
- Eat Your Way to Prosperity: Chinese New Year Recipes
- Men, Women, and Why We Eat Meat
- Xtreme Eating Awards
- School Official Demanded Girl, 8, to Eat Lunch Out of Trash
- Organic Egg Farm Violates Federal Standards