Flowers enhance food in both an alluring and fun way. They give a romantic dinner a sensual touch, or add a bit of playfulness with a surprising splash of color. Best of all, there's that little "lift" of fragrance that's unbeatable.
My favorite is to toss in a small amount of nasturtiums or pansies to a green salad. You don't need much. Flowers may look timid and shy, but they pack a powerful punch. They can be wonderfully peppery, nutty, even tart.
In a liquid form, such as orange flower, they're blissful whipped into cream to top a dessert, or mixed into a classic cocktail. One such cocktail that tops my list is a Ramos Gin Fizz. Icy and floral: perfect for a summer brunch.
Lightly dusted with a fine pastry sugar, flowers such as violets are a beautiful addition to a dessert like cupcakes, or atop a vanilla bean ice cream.
Personally, I stay away from marigolds, also known as calendula, which is frequently used in cosmetics. Years ago, my mom and I found out that we were both highly allergic to them when an herbal book recommended we brew them to make a cleansing face tonic. We both ended up looking like Freddy Krueger, and I had a blind date the next night. Oh, the wonders of emergency dermatologists, cortisone shots and theater make-up!
Have fun adding flowers to your dishes, but just in case, keep them away from your face!
Thank you Mouth Watering Moments for your beautiful photo.
- Easy Easter Flower Buns
- What Color Are Angelica Flowers
- 42 Tasty Edible Flowers.
- Patriotic Pretties Flower Cookies are All-American Flowers
- 5 Fantastic Fruity Salads
- Fruit Salad With White Chocolate
- Quinoa Fruit Salad
- Edible Autumn Leaves Are Perfect for Fall Cakes
- Magic Edible Harry Potter Wands Perform Tricks
- Chocolate Scrabble Tiles Sweeten Up Any Sentiment
- Hisbiscus Flower Punch With Apple & Lemon
- Raw King Bolete Salad On Lemon Balm Leaves With Chive Flowers
- Flower Pot Cakes
- Mango Sorbet With Kaffir Lime and Mint Simple Syrup Topped With Borage Flowers
- Flower Tart
- Scented Mango Pudding with Dried Lavender Flowers
- Rose Apple Tart for mother's day
- Rosemary & Lemon Infused Cake
- "Fruit Salad" Salad Smoothie
- Blueberry Smoothie