In Italy, when the first tomatoes of the season are ripe for plucking, they celebrate summer by preparing this delicious pasta dish. It's simple to make, and tastes like you've captured the freshness of summer on your plate.
This isn't just an ordinary tomato-on-pasta dish. The pasta is served piping hot and the sauce chilly cold, creating a temperature contrast that is both refreshing and unexpected. Once introduced to the heat of the pasta, the flavors of the tomato and olive oil burst with flavor.
1 pound angel hair or spaghetti
1 pound of tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and finely diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
3-4 basil leaves, roughly chopped
1 small sweet onion, finely diced
1 teaspoon good quality balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
Strain the diced tomato (save the juice for tomorrow's recipe!). In a large bowl, add the remaining diced and chopped vegetables, as well as the oil and vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and refrigerate until well chilled.
Once your sauce is sufficiently chilled, start to cook your pasta in well-salted water (a good handful!). Strain the pasta, then place it in your serving dish. Drizzle with olive oil and toss until well coated. Spoon your chilled sauce on the top, and serve immediately. Serves 4-6 Buon Appetito!
- Grilled Chicken BLT Burger and Other Recipes with Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato
- 5 Spectacular Summer Tomato Recipes
- Simple Summer Dishes: Tomato, Mozzarella, and Basil Pasta
- Scrumptious Sausage and Spinach Stuffed Shells In Tomato Basil Cream Sauce
- Bacon, Avocado, and Tomato Pasta Salad
- 4 Vegetarian Recipes with a Pop of Pesto
- Gluten-Free Pasta with Tomatoes, Spinach and Feta
- Rockin' Rigatoni With Sweet Sausages In Creamy Tomato Sauce
- Summertime Eating: Pasta Salad with Sun Dried Tomato and Basil Vinaigrette
- Spring Pesto Pasta with Asparagus and Tomatoes
- Farfalle with fresh tomatoes, basil and mozzarella
- Pasta Salad With Zucchini And Summer Squash Recipe
- Tomato Linguine
- Pasta and Chicken With Tomato Pesto
- Italian Tomato Pasta
- Fish Sauce With Lemon, Parsley, and Tomato
- Pasta With Tomatoes, Mozzarella and Basil
- Fettuccine with Prawns, Peas, Tomatoes with Cream Sauce
- Rigatoni With Sweet Sausages In Creamy Tomato Sauce
- Farfalle with Shrimps, Tomatoes Basil Sauce