Some people turn their noses up at the mention of oxtail, but this underrated meat is succulently delicious. When slow cooked for many hours or quickly blasted in a pressure cooker, which we did, the gelatinous meat turns tender and fall-off-the-bone fantastic. Oxtail is also quite inexpensive, making it easy on the pocketbook, which I'm sure we can all appreciate right now. Use up that leftover red wine for stewing and this meal just gets more economical by the minute!
Red Wine Stewed Oxtail
Approximately 2 lbs. oxtail
1 16 oz. can of chopped tomatoes
3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
1 Bay leaf
Salt and pepper
In a large stockpot or pressure cooker, brown the onions, garlic and oxtail in a splash of olive oil.
After browning, add the red wine (and chicken stock if you need more liquid) until it just covers the oxtail. Toss in the bay leaf, a good pinch of salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer; cover. If you are using a stockpot allow the oxtail to simmer for a few hours, or until the meat starts to fall easily from the bone. If you are using a pressure cooker, cook for about 40 minutes.
Delightful served over couscous or polenta and sprinkled with a tasty gremolata.
- The Best Red Wine For Pizza is Served With a Chill
- Cabernet Burgers and 4 More Uses for Leftover Red Wine
- Thrifty Thursday, Sicillian Fish Stew
- 5 Spectacular Shellfish Recipes
- Easter Brunch Recipe: Sun Dried Tomato, Red Pepper and Kale Frittata
- Tiramisu Chocolate Mousse
- Blissful Bellini for Mother's Day
- Family Meal: Wine Director Joe Campanale
- Pesto Bechamel Baked Ziti Recipe Matched With Three Affordable Italian Red Wines
- 4 Vegetarian Recipes with a Pop of Pesto
- Red Wine Stewed Oxtail
- Chardonnay And Herb Fagioli Soup With Chili Chive Croutons
- Mexican Lentil And Herb Stew
- Black Eyed Peas and Kale Stew
- Fresh Fig Cake With Amaretto Fig Compote And 2 Great Dessert Wines
- Oxtail Ragout
- Jamaican Oxtail Stew
- Oxtail Soup
- Hearty Herb And Cabernet Beef Stew
- Italian Lentil Soup