Foodista has recently been covered in both the New York Times and TIME Magazine. I was quoted, and to provide a counterpoint, so was Christopher Kimball of Cook's Illustrated. Between these two articles, Condé Nast announced that they were shutting down Gourmet, and in response Mr. Kimball wrote this Op-Ed piece in the New York Times. Let me start by saying that I have deep respect for Mr. Kimball and what he has built, but I also disagree with his assessment of the Internet, Wikis, and how it all works. I was thinking about writing a response to the Op-Ed, and then earlier today noticed that Mr. Kimball issued the following challenge on his blog:
The current rage is the WIKI recipe notion — a community of on-line foodies who can select and tweak recipes to come up with the best possible version. Then there is the opposite contention — I think that only a professional test kitchen with substantial resources, strict testing protocol, and lots of time can develop the very “best” recipes, all things being equal. So, I am willing to put my money, and my reputation, where my big mouth is. I offer a challenge to any supporter of the WIKI or similar concept to jump in and go head to head with our test kitchen. We will jointly agree on a recipe, on the rules, on a time frame, etc. At the end, we will ask a panel of impartial judges to make and test the recipes and declare a winner. Should be fun! Who is interested?
I posted a response comment on his blog accepting the challenge, it is awaiting moderation. This should be interesting! What do you think?
- Is Lone star card accepted by the Sam's Club?
- Edible Candy Pen Makes Pen-Chewing Socially Acceptable
- Organic Farmers not Willing to Accept Monsanto as their Dark Lord
- The Pillsbury Bake-Off is Still Accepting Entries
- Accepted here screen yeah your
- Foodista Five: Amy Jeanroy, Foodista Staff Contributor
- Foodista Five: Leah Rodrigues, Foodista Staff Contributor
- Foodista Five: Rosemina Nazarali, Foodista Staff Contributor
- Foodista Five: Jameson Fink, Foodista Director of Social Media Marketing
- Foodista Five: Warren Bobrow, Mixology Expert and Cocktail Whisperer