Nobody knows why December is National Eggnog Month. It makes sense that it is, but there is no association that declared it as such and no presidential proclamation. But all the same I think we are all willing to celebrate this holiday! At least those of us who love the drink, it's one of those things where you like it or you hate it. If you have never tried it homemade, I ask you to try it. Just once.
And for the record, December 24 is National Eggnog Day, but really, it needs more than one day.
For those of you that aren't aware of what makes up this delicious drink, it is made of milk, cream, sugar, eggs (which make it frothy), topped with cinnamon and nutmeg. It is also commonly served with alcohol such as cognac, whisky, brandy, and rum.
George Washington, our first president, was actually a big fan of eggnog way back in the day. He had his own recipe that incorporated brandy, rum, whisky, and sherry. From what we hear, it's a very strong drink. Try one of the recipes below. Nothing would be more relaxing than reclining with an eggnog cocktail on a chilly winter's night.
Perfect Eggnog from Confessions of a Tart
Traditional Eggnog, Sans Salmonella from ireallylikefood
Eggnog Fudge from The Recipe Girl
Eggnog Latte from Savory Sweet Life
Vegan Eggnog Cheesecake from FatFree Vegan Kitchen
Photo by izik.
- Thirsty Thursday: 3 Classic Eggnog Recipes
- Eggnog Marshmallows are a Poisonous Puff
- National Vodka Day! 3 Must Try Autumn Vodka Cocktails
- Celebrate National Vodka Day - Recipe Roundup!
- National Moscato Day: The Moscato Whippet Cocktail
- 5 Refreshing Iced Tea Recipes to Sip on During National Iced Tea Month
- 5 Recipes for National Dessert Month
- Thirsty Thursday: 5 Best Gluten Free Summer Cocktails
- Sunday Sippin': Top 10 Watermelon Cocktails
- National Margarita Day: Pomegranate Margarita