What's that you say? 'Tis Pepper Pot Day? 232 years ago today, during the Revolutionary War, a chef concocted Pepper Pot, a soup made of tripe, small pieces of meat, and peppercorns. As the tale is told, the Continental Army at Valley Forge was doing poorly during the harsh winter and they were low on food. The soup was made with what was available and is quoted as being, "the soup that won the war." It's also known as Philadelphia Pepper Pot. Pepper Pot is also a Caribbean dish and is the national dish of Guyana. There are many different versions of the soup, but they all are a hot and spicy dish. Make a delicous Pepper Pot from these recipes at Jet Chef or here on Foodista.
Photo by 2Eklectik
- Christmas in ...June? Happy National Gingerbread Day!
- 5 Recipes to Celebrate National Dessert Day
- National Mulled Wine Day
- Pepper Pot Soup
- Game Day Treats: Spicy Peanut Butter and Pepper Jelly Wings
- Must-Try Spicy Moroccan Carrot Soup
- National Day of Action Join Slow Food USA
- National Vodka Day! 3 Must Try Autumn Vodka Cocktails
- Celebrate National Vodka Day - Recipe Roundup!
- National Cheese Cake Day!