Admittedly, Seattle isn't the hottest place to be in the summertime. It's quite different from the summers I remember growing up in Massachusetts. The ones where the humidity wraps around you like a wet terry-cloth towel upon opening the front door. Those car rides home from Cape Cod, my sticky legs frying like sausage links against the leather car seats. Realizing that sleeping with a fan blowing on you isn't cooling, but instead the equivalent of a convection oven. Trying to look presentable when no amount of Frizz-Ease will tame my inherently curly hair. Thanks, Mom. But even though I'm removed from the 95 degree July days of my youth, I still crave the cooling meals that represent summer. Juicy slices of red watermelon, popsicles (preferably the double-stick ones in banana flavor), dripping ice cream cones, and cool, crunchy vegetables.
Lately, I've traded my beloved toasted BLT sandwich for a refreshing deconstructed version. After seeing a few bacon-laden salads around the blogosphere, I had a hankering to toss one together for lunch. A bowl of crisp romaine, halved grape tomatoes, chopped applewood smoked bacon, crumbled blue cheese, and thinly sliced red onion. Sounds good, right? Well I like to make a good think even better: I dressed the mess in a warm maple bacon vinaigrette. A spin on Alton Brown's "Bacon Vinaigrette," this drizzled sauce is deliciously sweet, savory, and rich. The perfect accompaniment, really.
What about you? Which foods do you crave in the summertime?
-Andrea Mitchell, Foodista staff and blogger at CanYouStayForDinner.com
- Family Friendly Recipe: BLT Salad
- BLT Chopped Salad
- Simple BBQ Shrimp Skewers with Pineapple and Bacon
- Bacon Chicken Alfredo Pizza
- Dynamite Bacon Wrapped Grilled Corn
- Iron Barley Makes the World's Largest BLT
- Bacon, Avocado, and Tomato Pasta Salad
- Superbowl Bites: Bacon Apple Cheddar Cheese Ball
- Grilled Romaine Salad with Bacon and Blue Cheese
- Chicken BLT Sandwich Braid
- Sweet, Sweet, Sweet Potato Quiche With Bacon and Mushrooms
- BLT Pizza -Bacon Lettuce and Tomato Pizza
- Chipotle Bacon Bombs on a Stick
- Potato, zucchini, red bell pepper, with bacon and herbs baked in a pot.
- Barbecue Pork Buns – Dim Sum
- Slow Cooker Dim Sum Pulled Pork & Sweet Sesame Snap Peas
- INDIAN 5-SPICE TOMATO RELISH
- Smoked Pulled Pork
- Shrimp, Pineapple and Bacon Skewers
- Cheesy Bacon Burger with Spicy Chipotle Aiolo Sauce