During the past week, several stories have emerged about new and unique beers. Sadly, you'll probably never get to experience one yourself (or in one case, you might not want to). Take a look at this list of unusual brews, see what's in them, and learn how they're made!
1. White House Honey Ale: As part of the Super Bowl party hosted by the Obama family at the White House, the president sampled a new beer made using 1 pound of honey from the official White House Bee Hive. The maker of the beer is a White House Chef who is also a home-brewing enthusiast. The Obamas paid for the equipment with personal funds, so there will be no impact on the national debt.
2. Unnamed Beer From 19th Century Shipwreck: After the discovery of 5 bottles of preserved beer from a 19th century schooner off of Finland, scientists from the VTT Technical Research Center sampled the brew. One man described the beer as sour and noted, "you could taste the saltiness of it slightly." Scientists hope to identify the ingredients in the beer so that the recipe can be reproduced and possibly used in modern times. Also found with the wreck: 168 bottles of preserved champagne. Those bottles are predicted to sell for $70,000 a piece at auction.
3) Sink the Bismarck: Made by the Scottish company BrewDog, this beer contains enough alcohol that one gulp would put you over the legal limit to drive in the UK. Sink the Bismarck contains 41 percent alcohol and is meant to be consumed in small quantities (the bottle has a re-sealable lid). A 330 ml bottle of it will cost you 55 pounds. The beverage contains 4 times as many hops as an ordinary beer.
- Never Lose Your Beer At A Summer BBQ Again with The Go Plate
- Three Meatballs Recipes You've Probably Never Tried Before
- 3 Wine Facts You Probably Didn’t Know
- Samuel Adams' Utopias Beer is a Pricey Brew
- Molson Coors Produces Bloat-Resistant Animee Beer for Women
- Brewlab Offers Free Variety Pack of Home-Brewed Beer Each Month
- The Great American Beer Swap
- 5 New Cocktails you've never heard of prior to today
- Four RARE Bottles of Scotch never to see water.
- 5 Bottles of Bourbon NEVER to see ice or water