Fats have typically been demonized in the health and nutrition community as something to be avoided. For years low fat, no-fat, non-fat and reduced fat have been synonymous for “healthier.” However, nutritionists and food experts alike have recently stepped forward to advocate for “good” fats and to stop the habit of equating low-fat options as the automatic better choice.
In a recent article by Kristin Wartman at Civil Eats, she remarks that ever since the Los Angeles Times reported that carbohydrates and sugar, not fat, are now to blame for America’s obesity statistics, food writers and nutritionists like Martha Rose Shulman have been getting on the “no low-fat” bandwagon, and the movement seems to be gaining momentum.
Over at NY Times Dining and Wine, Melissa Clark supports this pro-fat stance in her piece in which she lays out the argument over coconut oil’s health benefits. She begins by explaining how coconut oil used to be considered incredibly unhealthy. However, two main groups have brought to light the benefits and uses of this white globby goo. Vegans have been using coconut oil for quite a few years now as a vegan substitute in baked goods, but now scientists have been investigating coconut oil, and more specifically, virgin coconut oil, and are finding the results to be more positive than once thought.
In light of all this fat talk, I started to think a bit about my own fat habits (besides eating late night french fries). What's your stance on when and what to use when it comes to fats in your cooking? Personally, I’ve always been a huge fan of butter and do not shy away. I’d rather just use less butter than any type of butter substitute and have always just leaned towards moderation over low-fat replacements.
- Call Me Fathead, it's a Compliment
- 3 Nutrition Myths That Need Busting
- Crazy Raw Coconut Ice Cream
- Fresh Summer Salads
- Summer Grilling: Basil Lemon Veal Chops
- Must Try! Chicken Under a Brick
- Coconut Oil Mayo
- Meatless Monday: Raw Recipe Roundup!
- Low Fat Vegan Eating and A Cold Summer Soup
- Going Vegan or How Could I Ever Give Up Cheese?!
- Almost-Triple Chocolate Chip Cookie
- More Substitutes
- The Perfect Butter Beans Stew
- Coconut Sorbet
- Pickled Fish With Coconut Milk
- Italian Kale and Potato Soup
- Grilled Shark Steak
- Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bread
- Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Gnocchi in a Warm Rosemary Brown Butter Sauce
- Lemon Roasted Halibut With Peppers and Onions