There's nothing wrong with the classic strawberry, prune and apricot hamantaschen filling, but this coffee cake mixture, with its sweet and crunchy texture, will blow Haman's three-pointed hat right off his head!
Coffee Cake Hamantaschen Recipe
Adapted from Easy Hamantaschen Recipe
Makes: 24 Cookies
3 eggs (To make this recipe vegan, just substitute 3 tablespoons apricot puree for the 3 eggs)
1 egg beaten, for brushing the cookies before baking
1 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup orange juice
5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup finely chopped walnuts, pecans or cashews
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 to 2 tablespoons apple butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease a baking sheet.
3. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until lightly and fluffy.
4. Stir in the oil, vanilla and orange juice.
5. Combine the flour and baking powder. Stir into the batter to form a stiff dough.
Tip: If dough is not stiff enough to roll out, stir in more flour.
6. On a floured surface, roll dough out to about 1/4 inch in thickness.
7. Cut into circles using the rim of a drinking glass. Place cookies 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheet.
7. For the filling, mix together the packed brown sugar, cinnamon, chopped nuts, melted butter and apple butter.
8. Spoon about 2 teaspoons of the coffee cake filling into the center of each one.
9. Pinch the edges to form three corners. Brush the corners with the beaten egg.
10. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned.
11. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet before removing.
12. Garnish with some sprinkled cinnamon and chopped nuts.
Enjoy! Happy Purim!
- 3 Best Gluten Free Hamantaschen Recipes for Purim
- Perfect for Purim: Red Velvet Hamantaschen
- Sweet Potato Hamantaschen for Purim
- 5 Gluten Free Cakes Fit for a Queen
- Gluten Free Vegan Dark Chocolate Chipotle Cake
- A Nice, Heavy Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Gluten Free Cranberry Upside Down Cake
- GF Almond Cranberry Bundt Cakes - Cranberry Craze Pt 1
- Six Layer Chocolate Coconut Peeps Cake is the Ultimate Easter Dessert
- Easter Brunch Recipes: Mocha Muffins