Movies only offer the general public one side of the complex minds of actors. Here are five (male) actors who hide the fact that they're actually really skilled in the kitchen.
1. Daniel Craig: Before becoming Bond, Craig led a mysterious life in the UK's restaurant industry. He worked as a chef in a pub and fancies himself as quite the cook. He told Hello Magazine, "I love to cook. But because I used to work in the hostelry industry, I can't cook for a few, because I'm used to cooking for 20 or more at a time. So there are always a lot of leftovers. Cooking is something that is in your blood. Even now, when I go into a working kitchen, a shiver runs down my spine."
2. Christopher Walken: This famed actor has starred in every conceivable movie from Catch Me If You Can to Hairspray. Well, he also cooks. Nearly the host of his own cooking show, his passion dates back a long ways. His father owned a bakery in Queens, New York. When shooting a movie, he generally brings his own food, which he prepares in the hotel's kitchen or his apartment. "The thing is, I’m not a great cook. But it doesn’t matter."
3. Vincent Price: From Edward Scissorhands to House on Haunted Hill, Vincent Price was one of Hollywood's creepiest actors. Yet, the man also had a soft side that involved cooking. He released his cookbook called "A Treasury of Great Recipes" with his wife Mary. "There is nothing more soul-satisfying than the first succulent bite into the juicy frankfurter," he writes. Clips of Price cooking with Wolfgang Puck are available on YouTube.
4. Jake Gyllenhaal: Recently, the star of Donnie Darko and Brokeback Mountain revealed he had a secret love of cooking. Attributing the love to his mother and father, Gyllenhaal said he had a large collection of old cookbooks in his library and enjoyed preparing food from scratch. "I like to go to a farmers’ market first, buy things fresh and come up with my own dish based on whatever I’ve bought. I grow my own vegetables at home because I love fresh food.”
5. Matthew McConaughey: Remember him from How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days? Or maybe A Time to Kill? Well, McConaughey has developed his own signature cocktail and barbecue sauce. His take on the classic margarita includes, "tequila, lime juice, orange liqueur, and tonic water, topped off with cranberry juice." As for cooking in general, McConaughey says, "I love being in the kitchen and cooking generally - it fuels my soul man!" We hear ya, dude.
- 6 Actors Who Bulked Up for a Movie Role
- Jake Gyllenhaal Would be a Chef if he Wasn't an Actor
- Blake Lively Wants a Man Who Loves Food
- Actors Christopher Walken and Richard Belzer Cook on Funny or Die
- 90210 Actor Jason Priestly Now Owns Vineyard
- The Cafe Luxe Kit is for Gourmet Campers Who Love Coffee
- Kelly Brook Loves Cheese and Wine
- Guy Fieri Loves Kale
- Gordon Ramsay Gives Playboy Interview
- Jamie Oliver Really Loves Christmas
- Who Says They Don’t Like Cauliflower: Roasted Cauliflower and Poblano Pepper Soup
- Olivier salad: simple salad recipe you will love
- Love That Chipotle Chili!
- Lovely, Lemon Garlic London Broil
- Peanut Butter Cookies With Chocolate Chunks
- Love Men. Love Chocolate. Love Brownies.
- Who Said You Need To Pay $4 For A Cupcake When You Can Make Your Own?
- Xavier's Salad Nicoise
- German Beef Rouladen - An International Classic Recipe with a Hungarian Twist
- Lovely Lemon - Cranberry Cookies