While Disney Resorts are not the first to offer food allergy-friendly menus and accommodations, they are certainly industry-leaders when it comes to company-wide awareness and diversity of available options. In addition to providing meal options for on-property dining, Disney also allows individuals and families with food allergies/intolerances to bring their own food into the parks - simply let the gate-checker know, and you're in the clear.
Disney Resorts, which have offered dining accommodations for those with special diets (vegetarian & vegan, kosher) now offer safe dining options for individuals and families with many different food allergies and intolerances, the most common of which are: gluten or wheat, shellfish, soy, lactose or dairy, peanuts and tree nuts, fish, eggs and corn.
Disney is making great strides towards 'dining equality' - it was a different world 10 or even 5 years ago. By making these options readily available to guests across the United States, Disney has changed the face of family vacations for those with food allergies. No longer do dietary restrictions mean you are barred from the Happiest Place on Earth.
Don't just take my word for it - earlier this year, the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN) honored Disney for their work in setting an example for others in the industry and making a difference for those with incurable and life-threatening food allergies. For a first-hand account of the awesomeness exhibited by Disney's chefs, take a look at Jules Shepard's report on her family's experience earlier this year.
Source: The Orange County Register
Photo by lrargerich.
- Disney Adds Gluten-Free Beer, Fruit Smoothies and Organic Teas to Upcoming Landscape of Flavors Food Court
- Seriously Best Ever Bourbon Cranberry Sauce - Cranberry Craze Pt 2
- 3 Minute Cranberry Relish - No Cooking Required
- Sensational Roasted Cauliflower with Apples and Dill, Gluten Free + Vegan
- Vegan Recipe Roundup: 5 Fall Favorites
- Gluten Free + Allergy Friendly Thanksgiving Desserts
- 5 Best Gluten Free Sweet Potato Casserole Recipes
- Gluten Free Vegan Dark Chocolate Chipotle Cake
- 5 Must Try Gluten Free Pumpkin Cookie Recipes - Allergy Friendly
- 5 Sinfully Delicious Vegan Chocolate Desserts
- Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas)
- Cumin Roasted Cauliflower
- Shiraz Chocolate Lava Pudding
- Gnocchi - Sweet Potato Recipes
- Red, White & Blue Smoothie
- Wild Rice Stuffing with Cranberries and Hazelnuts - Gluten Free & Dairy Free
- Tia's Treats
- Ginger Chicken and Quinoa Stir Fry
- Tex-Mex Polenta Rounds with Chunky Guacamole
- Parmesan Radicchio Crisps