The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has placed its blessing on the further development of Monsanto's GM *Golden rice* in the Philippines and Bangladesh, despite opposition from numerous grassroots organizations who are trying to create a sustainable farming environment.
From the Slowfood site:
The farmers’ organizations are worried that golden rice, being developed to increase Vitamin A in the local diet, will do more harm than good. They are concerned that GM crops require large-scale use of fertilizers and damage soil fertility; that the health risks linked to consumption remain unclear; and that the contamination of non-GM crops is an issue occurring all around the world. But most worrying of all, they are concerned about the massive loss of local food and cultural diversity that would accompany its widespread introduction.
The premise is that this GM rice, contains Vitamin A, which would combat a widespread epidemic of deficiency, causing blindness and death. Those opposed argue that the problem is not that native rice lacks Vitamin A, but that the people are unable to afford any other food except rice. They go on to say that rebuilding the local food systems makes more long term sense.
The Gates Foundation has a substantial investment in Monsanto, making the entire situation take on a fake golden hue.
- GM Toxins Found In Human Blood
- Eat What You Want - Hows That Working Out?
- GMO Crops Farmer To Farmer Video
- Farm Aid 2011 A Voice For Small Farms
- Monsanto Sues Farmers Again Or Not
- Thanks Monsanto - Now Farmers Have To Weed By Hand
- We Soy Don't Need Anymore Monsanto Crops
- Factory Farm In Your Backyard - There Probably Is
- Fab Five Friday: Blog Round Up
- Nothing Is Sacred - A GM Apple
- Not Your Mama’s Rice Pudding : The Lazy Girl's Slow Cooker Kheer/ Rice Pudding
- Golden Crusted Rice
- Golden Rice Pudding
- INDIAN 5-SPICE TOMATO RELISH
- Crock Pot Rice Pudding
- Steak Carnitas & Sautéed Peppers over Cilantro Lime Rice
- Hearty and Healthy; Steak, Mushroom and Rice Stew
- The Lazy Girl's Slow Cooker Rice Pudding
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Golden Beets
- Classic Pot Roast