Recently, a women hunting for Morel mushrooms, was lost on a small island of land in Douglas County, NE. The thick woods made it impossible for Michelle Smith, of Omaha, to get her bearings. After she missed the agreed upon check in, her boyfriend called law enforcement. Initially, law enforcement was unable to rescue Ms. Smith, because she was stuck on the far side of a 30 ft wide muddy creek. Officers decided to create a bridge of blown down trees, which allowed her to walk to safety.
Are Morels Worth Getting Lost?
In a word, yes. These wild mushrooms have an extremely short season here in Nebraska, a few weeks at most. They are tantalizingly difficult to find, so many mushroom hunters keep their favorite locations a secret. There is not guarantee your previous hunting ground will once again grow the fungus, the following year because they need such well defined growing conditions, that a blow down or other disturbance in the area can change the amount of moisture and light that location receives.
How Do You Cook Morels?
What better way to feed many with such a small harvest? Add fresh pasta to your morels and call the family!
You had me at the word stuffed. I love a great filling, and this one is unique.
I have been experimenting with wine in my cooking lately. This recipe uses white wine, so its on my list.
- 3 Marvelously Gluten Free Morel Mushroom Recipes
- 8 Ways To Spice Up Your Homemade Juice Creations
- Meatless Monday: Vegan Butternut Squash and Lentil Pot Pie
- 6 Healthy Potato Chip Alternatives
- Meatless Monday: 3 Gluten Free Super Sweet Potato Recipes
- Tumblr Tuesday: 5 Vegan Food Tumblr Blogs
- Easiest Ever Gluten Free Lentil Fennel Artichoke Salad
- 3 Must Try 'No Potato' Leek Soup Recipes - Vegan + Gluten Free
- Sensational Roasted Cauliflower with Apples and Dill, Gluten Free + Vegan
- What You Didn't Know About Quinoa & A Recipe
- INDIAN 5-SPICE TOMATO RELISH
- Spicy Red Lentil Soup With Magic Potion
- Petite Tomato Salad Tartar
- Broccoli and "Cheese" Soup
- Quick & Healthy Fava Beans, Chickpeas, Olives With Tomatoes
- Roasted Acorn Squash Stuffed W/spicy Biryani (Veg/vegan)
- Peppermint Bark Lollipops
- Vegan spicy sautéed mushrooms in 10 minutes.
- Peanut Carrot Bisque
- Gluten free focaccia