Nothing says summer like watermelon and barbecuing - so combine the two and you have a quintessential new summer treat. Sweet and spicy, refreshing and smoky, grilled watermelon slices can be breakfast, a starter, a tasty snack or
Grilled Watermelon au Poivre
Adpated from Phil Deffina, Highpoint Bistro & Bar in New York.
Prep time: 5 minutes (+ 4 hours marinating time)
Watermelon, cut into 1 1/2-inch slices
3 TBSP White Balsamic Vinegar per slice
1 TSP sugar per slice
Freshly ground pepper
Carve a 1½-inch-thick slices from the center of a seedless watermelon and marinate in white balsamic vinegar for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
Before grilling, season each slice with sugar and a generous amount of ground black pepper (up to 1 TSP per slice; including a combination of ground black pepper, pink peppercorns and grains of paradise).
Grill over direct high heat for about 3 minutes, on one side only. The watermelon should turn bright red and become caramelized on the grilled side.
Serving suggestion: over steak salad with shaved jicama, blanched asparagus tips, radishes, tarragon, chervil and olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Tamari Tofu and Other Tantalizing Tofu Recipes
- Seriously Best Ever Bourbon Cranberry Sauce - Cranberry Craze Pt 2
- 3 Minute Cranberry Relish - No Cooking Required
- BBQ Treat: Spicy Maple Fruit Kabobs
- Last Minute Vegan Gluten Free Desserts
- Get Grilling: Hearty Fruits and Veggies
- Sensational Roasted Cauliflower with Apples and Dill, Gluten Free + Vegan
- Easy Homemade Cranberry Sauce with Port & Pears
- Allergy Friendly Roasted Pumpkin Seeds 3 Ways
- Ultimate Veggie Burger for the Grill
- Baked Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Creamy Artichoke Dip with Dill
- Simple and Satisfying: Stuffed Peppers
- Old School Vegan Egg Salad
- One Pan Lemon Chicken
- Cocoa Stout Cupcakes
- Banana & Snickerdoodle s'mores with fresh berries
- Easy Millet Salad Recipe
- Just in time for grill season, terrific tips for the perfect steak
- Cranberry Pudding with Coconut Whipped Cream-gluten free, vegan