Nothing says summer like watermelon and barbecuing - so combine the two and you have a quintessential new summer treat. Sweet and spicy, refreshing and smoky, grilled watermelon slices can be breakfast, a starter, a tasty snack or
Grilled Watermelon au Poivre
Adpated from Phil Deffina, Highpoint Bistro & Bar in New York.
Prep time: 5 minutes (+ 4 hours marinating time)
Watermelon, cut into 1 1/2-inch slices
3 TBSP White Balsamic Vinegar per slice
1 TSP sugar per slice
Freshly ground pepper
Carve a 1½-inch-thick slices from the center of a seedless watermelon and marinate in white balsamic vinegar for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
Before grilling, season each slice with sugar and a generous amount of ground black pepper (up to 1 TSP per slice; including a combination of ground black pepper, pink peppercorns and grains of paradise).
Grill over direct high heat for about 3 minutes, on one side only. The watermelon should turn bright red and become caramelized on the grilled side.
Serving suggestion: over steak salad with shaved jicama, blanched asparagus tips, radishes, tarragon, chervil and olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Top 5 Tequila Recipes
- 5 Best Boozy Marinades
- Mouthwatering BBQ Baked Beans - Gluten Free!
- Celiac Saturday: 5 Best Hamburger Buns
- Summer Grilling: Basil Lemon Veal Chops
- Celiac Saturdays: 5 Rockin' Rib Recipes
- Get Grilling: Hearty Fruits and Veggies
- BBQ Treat: Spicy Maple Fruit Kabobs
- Wheatless Wednesday: Sizzlin' Seafood
- 5 Best Brisket Recipes, Gluten Free
- One Pan Lemon Chicken
- Garlic Maple Marinade & Glaze
- Garlic Maple Chicken
- Creamy Artichoke Dip with Dill
- Black Bean and Fresh Corn Tacos
- Grilled Chicken and Sweet With Heat Boysenberry Barbecue Sauce
- Old School Vegan Egg Salad
- Cocoa Stout Cupcakes
- Spicy Grilled Watermelon and Cucumber Salad
- Gluten Free Veggie Burgers with Chipotle Mayonaise