Would you splurge on La Bonnotte potatoes if you had the chance? These rare salty spuds are one of the world's most exclusive foods, and they're priced accordingly: a kilo of the potatoes, or 2.2 pounds, retails for up to $700.
What makes potatoes worth $318 per pound? La Bonnotte potatoes only grow in the island of Noirmoutier in western France, where cultivators fertilize the spuds with seaweed and algae. After planting season ends in February, the fragile tubers are harvested by hand in early May in limited quantities -- just 100 tons of potatoes are produced per year. Within 48 hours of harvest, most of the potatoes have already been sold.
Do you think La Bonnotte potatoes are worth their price tag?
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes and More Holiday Recipes with the Sweet Spud
- Fab Five Friday: Blog Round Up
- Foodie Paradise at the Brooklyn Flea
- An Artisanal Soda Trade Grows in Brooklyn
- Fast Food Chains Using Chefs in Ads
- NPR Picks 2012 Food Trends
- Welcome Spring With Fresh Tasty Salads
- Gluten Free Mother's Day Breakfast in Bed
- Life Size Chocoalte Skulls are a Cannibalistic Confection
- Fabio Viviani Now Selling Dominos Pizza
- Come Si Prepara Il “pan Di Spagna”, Base Per Torte Da Conservare E Tenere Pronta Per Ogni Occasione.
- Spud Burger
- Stuffed Spuds
- Speedy Spuds
- Artisan Garlic Bread With Mozzarella
- In Search Of The Perfect Loaf..For Loafers
- Sweet Potato Pizza
- Carb Heaven Crispy Potato Tacos
- Torta Con Camy Cream Alla Nutella. La Crema Per Eccelenza.
- Potato, zucchini, red bell pepper, with bacon and herbs baked in a pot.