Would you splurge on La Bonnotte potatoes if you had the chance? These rare salty spuds are one of the world's most exclusive foods, and they're priced accordingly: a kilo of the potatoes, or 2.2 pounds, retails for up to $700.
What makes potatoes worth $318 per pound? La Bonnotte potatoes only grow in the island of Noirmoutier in western France, where cultivators fertilize the spuds with seaweed and algae. After planting season ends in February, the fragile tubers are harvested by hand in early May in limited quantities -- just 100 tons of potatoes are produced per year. Within 48 hours of harvest, most of the potatoes have already been sold.
Do you think La Bonnotte potatoes are worth their price tag?
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes and More Holiday Recipes with the Sweet Spud
- Artisanal Pop Tarts Appeal to Nostalgic Locavores
- An Artisanal Soda Trade Grows in Brooklyn
- Creating Artisanal Hard Cider Is No Easy Task
- This Per Johansen Still Life Exhibit is Bizarre Yet Beautiful
- 3 Must Try Garlic Mashed Potato Recipes
- 5 Best Gluten Free Sweet Potato Casserole Recipes
- Cooking with Sweet Potatoes: 5 Savory Recipes to Prepare this Fall
- Meatless Monday: 3 Gluten Free Super Sweet Potato Recipes
- Wheatless Wednesday: Sweet Potato Buttermilk Rolls
- Come Si Prepara Il “pan Di Spagna”, Base Per Torte Da Conservare E Tenere Pronta Per Ogni Occasione.
- Spud Burger
- Stuffed Spuds
- Speedy Spuds
- Artisan Bread In Five Minute A Day
- Zucchini Cheese Spread Served With Artisan Bread
- Artisan Farfalle Pasta With Smoked Salmon and Cream Sauce
- Curaçao and Nero Di Seppia Artisan Pasta With Mushrooms and Blue Cheese Sauce.
- Artisan Garlic Bread With Mozzarella
- Sweet Potato Pizza