The new Choose My Plate which is replacing the food pyramid, is a bit of an improvement, but does not really go far enough. Part of the reason that people are experiencing so many health issues is due to the quality of their food. This important fact is basically overlooked.
Eat more veggies.
Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
The Not-so Good
It is best to eat food in its most natural form.
Making half your grains whole
All grains should be in their whole form. Refined grains strip the body of minerals, imbalance blood sugar, and don't have the fiber content of their whole counterparts. There is no mention of gluten free grains, even though there is an explosion of celiac disease and gluten intolerance in the population.
Quality of ingredients
Avoid factory farmed meat because it's full of chemicals and hormones.
Watch sodium intake, but no mention of using real salt vs. the highly refined version.
No mention of organic fruits and veggies. The conventional varieties are full of pesticides, which are not beneficial for the human body.
The fact that there is widespread use of food dyes, additives, flavorings, high fructose corn syrup, and refined sugar is not mentioned.
It says to balance portions and avoid oversized meals, but it doesn't offer any explanation as to what that might look like.
There is no mention of what kinds of fats are beneficial and which ones are harmful. A balance of quality saturated and unsaturated fat is needed for optimal health.
- Gluten Free Superstar
- Allergy Friendly Roasted Pumpkin Seeds 3 Ways
- Easiest Ever Gluten Free Lentil Fennel Artichoke Salad
- The Ultimate Diet Friendly Pizza
- Thrifty Thursday: Simple Salmon Salad
- What You Didn't Know About Quinoa & A Recipe
- Meatless Monday: 3 Simply Sophisticated Soups
- Fresh Summer Salads
- Wheatless Wednesday: Fried Green Tomatoes
- 11 Surprisingly Tasty Insect Recipes
- Brown Sugar Sponge Cookie w/ Chocolate Covered Caramels
- Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas)
- Pumpkin Cookies by FoodAllergiesRecipeBox.com
- Broccoli florets with Gorgonzola dressing
- Gnocchi - Sweet Potato Recipes
- Red, White & Blue Smoothie
- Shiraz Chocolate Lava Pudding
- Red Palm Oil, Fish Fillet with Mushrooms & Kale.
- Cumin Roasted Cauliflower
- One Pan Lemon Chicken