Japanese researcher Mitsuyuki Ikeda has come up with perhaps the greenest alternative to the livestock industry yet: he's engineered fake meat from human feces. Ikeda's artificial meat is made from extracting lipids and protein from "sewage mud," combining these lipids with a reaction enhancer and putting the whole thing in an exploder to combine it. Steak sauce and soy sauce add saltiness and a dash of umami to the fake meat.
Mitsyuki Ikeda's fake meat from human feces may not float your proverbial boat, but it's an innovative form of food production that reuses one of the most renewable substances on the planet. Ikeda notes that the "burgers" are low in fat and, because they don't rely on livestock, won't raise carbon emissions or waste.
Check out a video of Mitsuyuki Ikeda's fake meat from human feces below. Would you ever eat one of these poop-sourced patties?
- In-Vitro Bio-Sausages: Scientists 6 Months Away From Slaughter-Free Meat Products
- Human Gelatin? Scientists Produce Gelatin From Human Genes and Yeast
- 5 Outrageous Human-Sourced Foods: Poop Patties, Breast Milk Ice Cream and Human Cheese
- Kraft to Remove Artificial Dyes from Mac and Cheese
- Study: Drinking Wine Protects Skin From Sun Damage
- Video: Malcolm Gladwell on What We Want From Our Food
- Study Finds Meat Consumption Correlates to Masculinity
- Dutch Cannibalism Stunt Was Possibly Faked
- Horse Meat For Humans Potentially Coming Back
- Human Breast Milk From Cows?