Just because he's a Dad doesn't mean he's given up on bathing suit season. So this Father's Day, skip the calorie-bomb standard grill fare and opt for six-pack friendly lean meats, fruits and veggies. Here are some tips from the American Dietetic Association for a Father's Day grill fest that will help him stay ripped, healthy and happy for many Father's Day BBQ's to come.
1. Mind the Meat: Lean meats give Dad the protein he needs for muscle without too much fat. Opt for boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 96 percent lean ground beef, bison, buffalo, flank steak, sirloin steak, pork tenderloin, and any kind of fish. Delicate fish can fall apart on the grill, so you may want to invest in a grill basket. Vegetarian? Try black bean burgers or grilled tofu.
2. Boost Flavor: Too much oil and sugar add calories you don't need, and too much sodium can cause you to retain water, hiding your six pack. Try low-sodium spice blends, and use hot sauce and cayenne pepper to add a kick.
3. Say Hi to Sides: Sides like quinoa salad, whole grain couscous salad, brown rice, and roasted potatoes go great with grilled meats and will give you the carbs you need to get shredded.
4. Go Green: Make room on your Father's Day grill for some low-cal, high nutrition veggies. Try zucchini, yellow squash, asparagus, broccoli, sweet potato, or corn on the cob.
5. Sweet Success: The perfect ending to Dad's abs-ripping BBQ? Grilled fruit. Slice pineapple into rounds or split peaches, nectarines, or plums in half and remove the stone, and grill them until tender. You can even warm Nutella with a little milk to make a sauce that you can drizzle over the fruit.
- 7 Reasons Dad Needs a Beer
- 5 Food Tips for Sporty Dads
- 5 Must-Have Fierce Father's Day Finds
- Father's Day On the Grill: A BBQ Menu That'll Stick To His Ribs
- Will Cook For Sex: 10 Cookbooks for Dads and Grads
- Father's Day Feast: Let Better Homes & Gardens Help Plan Your Menu
- 5 Manly Cupcakes for Father's Day
- Oreo Father's Day Commercial Tops Nielsen Consumer Ratings
- Necktie Cookies Are an Edible Form of the Classic Father's Day Gift
- Father Periodic Table Grill Apron is a Perfect Year-Round Gift for Dad
- Oven Roasted Potatoes With Hot Chili Sauce
- Our gluten free version of Marion Cunningham's Irish Soda Bread
- Portuguese Rabanadas
- Dove’s Chocolate Chipotle Tri Tip with a Pepper Garlic Crust
- Snowy Chocolate Cupcakes- Nat'l Cupcake Day!
- Chocolate Chip Devil's Food Cake
- Heart Shaped Jelly For Valentine's Day
- Irish Potatoes, My Grandmother's Recipe
- Valentine's Day Cakelettes
- Turkey Shephard's Pie Topped with a Two-Potato Souffle