Just because he's a Dad doesn't mean he's given up on bathing suit season. So this Father's Day, skip the calorie-bomb standard grill fare and opt for six-pack friendly lean meats, fruits and veggies. Here are some tips from the American Dietetic Association for a Father's Day grill fest that will help him stay ripped, healthy and happy for many Father's Day BBQ's to come.
1. Mind the Meat: Lean meats give Dad the protein he needs for muscle without too much fat. Opt for boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 96 percent lean ground beef, bison, buffalo, flank steak, sirloin steak, pork tenderloin, and any kind of fish. Delicate fish can fall apart on the grill, so you may want to invest in a grill basket. Vegetarian? Try black bean burgers or grilled tofu.
2. Boost Flavor: Too much oil and sugar add calories you don't need, and too much sodium can cause you to retain water, hiding your six pack. Try low-sodium spice blends, and use hot sauce and cayenne pepper to add a kick.
3. Say Hi to Sides: Sides like quinoa salad, whole grain couscous salad, brown rice, and roasted potatoes go great with grilled meats and will give you the carbs you need to get shredded.
4. Go Green: Make room on your Father's Day grill for some low-cal, high nutrition veggies. Try zucchini, yellow squash, asparagus, broccoli, sweet potato, or corn on the cob.
5. Sweet Success: The perfect ending to Dad's abs-ripping BBQ? Grilled fruit. Slice pineapple into rounds or split peaches, nectarines, or plums in half and remove the stone, and grill them until tender. You can even warm Nutella with a little milk to make a sauce that you can drizzle over the fruit.
- 5 Food Tips for Sporty Dads
- 7 Reasons Dad Needs a Beer
- 5 Must-Have Fierce Father's Day Finds
- Father's Day On the Grill: A BBQ Menu That'll Stick To His Ribs
- Will Cook For Sex: 10 Cookbooks for Dads and Grads
- Father's Day Feast: Let Better Homes & Gardens Help Plan Your Menu
- 5 Manly Cupcakes for Father's Day
- Oreo Father's Day Commercial Tops Nielsen Consumer Ratings
- Necktie Cookies Are an Edible Form of the Classic Father's Day Gift
- 5 Rib Recipes to Rock Dad's World on Father's Day
- Oven Roasted Potatoes With Hot Chili Sauce
- Our gluten free version of Marion Cunningham's Irish Soda Bread
- Portuguese Rabanadas
- Carrot Cake Pancakes w Honey Butter
- Bbq Tips
- Grilled Tri Tip Beef Roast
- Dove’s Chocolate Chipotle Tri Tip with a Pepper Garlic Crust
- Just in time for grill season, terrific tips for the perfect steak
- Tri Tip Laszlo's Best Ever
- Mother's Day Savory Smoked Salmon Caviar Tart