One of the authors, Congressman Dan Young says, "My amendment cuts them off before they can get that far. Any approval of genetically modified salmon could seriously threaten wild salmon populations as they grow twice as fast and require much more food."
If the FDA were to approve the salmon, they would be mainly sterile and grown at inland fish farms. AquaBounty claims that the salmon would be contained, but environmental groups are concerned that they will escape. Another issue is that like other genetically modified foods, the salmon could end up in the grocery store without any labeling.
- FDA Details Global Safety Plan, But Will It Get Funded?
- Contact FDA for GMO Deathblow
- Ireland Bans GMOs
- Time for an FDA Food Fight
- Stop the FDA from Banning Supplements
- Let's Have Farmageddon at the White House
- Stop Mutant Salmon
- Obama and Monsanto BFFs?
- Vintage Photos of Child Oyster Shuckers Circa 1910
- Fighting Fish Fraud: the Bait and Switch
- Steamed fishballs with lemon basil
- Broiled Mackerel or Mackerel Preserves
- Godeungeo Kimchi Jorim 고등어 김치 조림 (Braised Mackerel w Kimchi)
- Move Over Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole
- Crusted Salmon
- Tuna Cookies
- Baked Costa Rican Style Tilapia With Pineapples, Black Beans and Rice
- Catfish Tacos With Pimento Cheese Crema and Watermelon Salsa
- Brain and Heart Food- Fish Dish
- Brandade Of Salt Cod With Roasted Red Peppers and Oregano