It never ceases to amaze me how many bottled salad dressings there are in our supermarkets, and I always wonder why buy it when you can make it yourself? It's more cost-effective to make your own, the taste is bar-none, and there are no unhealthy additives or preservatives - so it's better for you! A little bit of a quality oil and some herbs - even dried ones - can add a much more complex flavor to your salads than any bottled dressing. One of my favorite ways to dress a green salad is simply with a flavorful oil (olive, grapeseed, or walnut) and a pinch of salt, sometimes I'll add a squeeze of lemon juice and maybe a bit of the zest. When I'm in the mood for something more robust, I'll go with one of these delicious dressings:
Easy Poppy Seed Dressing
This sweet and sour dressing is delicious on fresh fruit, baby greens, and even mixed bean salads.
Light Buttermilk Blue Cheese
Most buttermilk blue cheese recipes call for mayonnaise and/or sour cream, but buttermilk is so creamy the added fat isn't necessary.
A retro classic! Add fresh herbs, such as basil, for even brighter flavor!
Barnaby's Caesar Salad
Our CEO created this eggless, low fat version of the classic Caesar dressing. It's super light and full of flavor. Most people say it's the best they've had!
Basic Herb Vinaigrette
The key to a good vinaigrette is the "3:1" rule. that is, 3 parts oil to 1 part acid (vinegar or citrus). Mustard is also an important component as it actas as an emulsifier, thus preventing the oil and vinegar from separating. Add your favorite fresh or dried herb(s) and you have a winning vinaigrette!
- A Julia Child Favorite: Salade Niçoise
- Healthy Recipe: Green Salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette and Goat Cheese
- Shrimp and Snap Pea Salad With Ginger-Soy Vinaigrette
- Healthy Chicken Salad with Quinoa and Apricot Vinaigrette
- Easy Salad Ideas: Broccoli Salad with Crispy Bacon and Dijon Vinaigrette
- Meatless Monday: Grilled Potato Salad With Herb Dressing
- Funky Chicken Friday: Chinese Chicken Salad with Chipotle Dressing
- Good-For-You Avocado, Orange and Daikon Salad with Cumin Lime Vinaigrette
- Summertime Eating: Pasta Salad with Sun Dried Tomato and Basil Vinaigrette
- Must-Try Almond Crusted Chicken Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing
- Tender Grilled Steak and Mushroom Salad With Dijon Vinaigrette
- Spinach and Beet Green Salad With Blue Cheese Vinaigrette
- Shrimp and Pomegranate Salad With Pom Dressing
- Sweet and Creamy Tarragon Salad Dressing
- Chipotle Raspberry Salad Dressing
- Beet and Blue Cheese Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette Dressing
- Vinaigrette Salad Dressing
- Chicken Salad With Quinoa and Apricot Vinaigrette
- Chinese Chicken Salad With Chipotle Dressing
- Beets With Shallot and Tarragon Vinaigrette