With cookout season in full swing (and 4th of July right around the corner!) hot dogs and hamburgers become summer staples. While hamburgers are pretty straightforward and are naturally gluten free -- assuming your grillmaster doesn't add a "special sauce" or seasoning into the mix, hot dogs are a whole other story. While the process of producing hot dogs is not a favorite topic to ponder, when you have a food allergy or dietary restriction like gluten intolerance or Celiac disease, it's something that should occupy your thoughts - at least for a few minutes.
Whether we like it or not, we all know that most hot dogs contain fillers and additives - from smoke flavors to "cereal" (no kidding). The question is: do these mystery ingredients contain gluten? The answer: sometimes. While some brands are very good about labeling (like Oscar Mayer and their parent company, Kraft) others are not (Ballpark and parent company Sara Lee will not confirm or deny the presence of gluten in their hot dogs; same with Hillshire Farms). While reading the labels is a great place to start, ingredients like "natural flavor" leave much to be desired in the full disclosure department.
All that aside, there are many brands that openly and readily declare that their products are gluten free and/or dairy free, including Hebrew National, Applegate Farms, Diestel, Jenny-O and Aidell's.
For a more complete list of hot dogs and sausages and their gluten free/dairy free status, click here.
- Celiac Saturday: Gluten Free BBQ Sauces
- Celiac Saturday: Gluten Free Rhubarb Roundup
- Top 5 Tequila Recipes
- 5 Best Boozy Marinades
- Celiac Saturday: Baked Jalapeno Poppers
- Celiac Saturday: 5 Best Hamburger Buns
- Celiac Saturdays: 5 Rockin' Rib Recipes
- Mouthwatering BBQ Baked Beans - Gluten Free!
- Celiac Saturdays: Best BBQ Sauces
- 5 Best Brisket Recipes, Gluten Free
- Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas)
- Cumin Roasted Cauliflower
- Gluten Free Corn Dogs
- Wild Rice Stuffing with Cranberries and Hazelnuts - Gluten Free & Dairy Free
- Just in time for grill season, terrific tips for the perfect steak
- Grilled Sirloin finished with Black Pepper Chevre
- Peanut Butter Carob Drop Dog Treats
- Gluten Free Frosted Pumpkin Doughnuts
- Grilled Chicken Skewers with Asian Flavors
- Spicy Chicken Corn Dogs with Homemade Chili Sauce