Could you eat local food only for one month? If you think so, then now is the time to try it. With the wide variety of farmers markets and produce becoming ripe, there is more than ever on the vendors table’s.
Rebecca Mowbray, a writer for The Times-Picayune, took the Eat Local Challenge in which she had to pledge to eat only food that is grown, raised or harvested within 200 miles of New Orleans for the month of June. She writes:
“Although I fretted about going without avocados or olives for a month, I surprised myself and discovered that the restrictions were the source of culinary creativity. I stopped worrying about what I couldn't have, and dove into a month-long scavenger hunt to see just what I could find.”
As she writes about her challenge, her tone changes from writing about having to do without, and becomes more about finding interesting new things to eat. This is a mindset that we all should heed. Food is such a luxury in our country that we think about it it like an old rerun on tv. You might watch it again, but your mind is elsewhere.
If you would like to try to eat local, now is the time to get out there and be amazed! There is so much produce and meat and cheese available no matter what region of the country you are in, that with a little bit of creativity, you too can be mindful of your mouthful.
- Tumblr Tuesday: 5 Urban Farming Tumblr Blogs
- Want Your Coffee Fresh? Try a CSA
- Buy Local 101 - What is a Food Hub?
- Cooking up a FEEST for the Youth
- Awesome Community Supported Ag : CSA
- 5 Ways To Protect Yourself From Rising Food Costs
- Farmers Market Bill At Risk
- Americans Support Doubling Food Stamp Value At Farmers Markets
- CSA Do You Have A Share?
- Fab Five Friday, Blog Round Up
- Island Haddock simmered in a spicey green curry sauce, inspired by P.E.I.
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Golden Beets
- Grilled Barramundi
- The USB Duplicator Now could be software program
- Supports healthy energy levels
- Beef Nachos
- Homemade Pumpkin Muffins
- No Oil Sweet n Sour Lime Pickle (Nimbu ka Achar)
- Pumpkin Soup w/ Homemade Croutons
- Rainbow Cookies-Pink for Breast Cancer Awraeness Month