On June 24th, the Washington Post ran an article titled: “Diabetes Becoming Alarmingly Common Worldwide, New Study Finds”. Worldwide, over 10% of the adult population is diabetic - 40% of which are from China and India, and only 10% are from the US and Russia. Even more surprising, 90% of the adults identified have Type II Diabetes which can often be controlled with diet and exercise.
Traditionally the ADA (American Diabetic Association) has supported a carbohydrate heavy diet for Diabetics. In 2008, the ADA acknowledged that a low carbohydrate diet is a viable diet for weight loss but did not address the added benefit of blood sugar control. Laura Dolson has more information on the subject.
Over the years, there have been many medical doctors promoting low carb for blood sugar control including Dr. Bernstein (a Type I Diabetic), Dr. Mary Vernon and the Drs Michael and Mary Eades with their Protein Power System. Obviously, the idea of controlling blood sugar through a low carb diet is not a new finding.
My own personal interest in low carb eating comes from watching my mother, a Type II Diabetic, be able to almost eliminate her insulin injections and on many days, go without insulin at all, solely as a result of limiting her carbohydrate intake. Through helping her make this lifestyle change, I have accumulated hundreds of recipes and menu plans that are quick, easy and incredibly tasty!
One of the challenges with Low Carb eating is variety and breakfast is no exception. I discovered Turkish Eggs several months ago and they quickly became a favorite- and not just for breakfast!
- Allergy Friendly Roasted Pumpkin Seeds 3 Ways
- Must Try! Chicken Under a Brick
- Gluten Free Cumin Roasted Cauliflower
- Gluten Free Stuffed Mushrooms 3 Ways
- Fresh Summer Salads
- Low Carb Living: Eggs On The Run
- Steamed Artichokes with Roasted Pepper Aioli
- Meatless Monday: Summer Squash with Mozzarella & Tomatoes
- Low Carb Mustard Recipes
- Low-Carb Chicken Breasts with Fresh Sage and Mushrooms
- Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas)
- Mustard & Thyme Butter
- Savory Pumpkin Entree
- Chicken Breast with Tarragon Mushroom Cream Sauce
- Enchilada Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Pork Tenderloin with Mustard Caper Cream Sauce
- Sugar Free Gluten Free Mini Peppermint Cream Puffs
- Gluten Free Pumpkin & Pepita Coffee Cake
- Seared Scallops With Wilted Greens
- Turkish Eggs