Omnivores rejoice! The EWG has come out with a guide to decoding meat, eggs, and poultry. Learn the true meaning of cage-free, grass-fed, pasture-raised, certified humane, and so on. With so many unregulated terms, such as "natural", it can get quite confusing when trying to choose the most sustainable and ethical sources of animal protein.
The EWG also paired up with CleanMetrics to do a study on the life cycles of 20 different types of meat. "Unlike most studies that focus just on production emissions, our assessment calculates the full “cradle-to-grave” carbon footprint of each food item based on the greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions generated before and after the food leaves the farm – from the pesticides and fertilizer used to grow animal feed all the way through the grazing, animal raising, processing, transportation, cooking and, finally, disposal of unused food".
This thorough guide has covered all the bases, so that you can make the most informed choices for your family and the planet.
- Kelly Osbourne is 'an Emotional Eater'
- Kim Kardashian is 'a Terrible Eater'
- Tumblr Tuesday: 5 Urban Farming Tumblr Blogs
- Not MY Plate
- Kim Kardashian Shares Size-2 Diet in Us Weekly
- Katamari Crudite, a Nerd-Approved Veggie Tray
- Fab Five Friday-Weekly Blog Roundup
- The Obamas Have Family Dinner Almost Every Night
- 3 Nutrition Myths That Need Busting
- Fat Sick and Nearly Dead