This classic Cuban cocktail is lightly sweet and incredibly refreshing! In addition to authenticity, the cane sugar adds texture (both to the drink and when muddling) and gives you tons of room for error -- over sweetening is quite a challenge compared to white sugar. An easy summer cocktail, the Mojito dates back to the 16th century (based on a cocktail known as El Draque, for Sir Francis Drake) and whose name derives from the word 'mojadito' meaning 'a little wet' (from Spanish 'mojado' for wet). Variations include adding fruit or fruit liquers, using Simple Syrup instead of sugar (to control sweetness), lemon instead of lime juice and a variety of other liquors: tequila (Mexican Mojito) or gin (British Mojito).
Yields 2 Cocktails
3 sprigs of fresh mint leaves + more for garnish
1 fresh lime, juiced
2 TBSP natural cane sugar
2 oz white rum
1 oz club soda
Into a cocktail shaker combine mint, sugar and lime. Muddle ingredients. Add rum and 1/3-1/2 cup ice. Cover and shake well to combine.
Pour mixture into highball glasses, add club soda and garnish with mint leaves. Voila!
A must-try recipe using ginger ale and fresh ginger to spice things up!
Asian meets Cuban in this delightful cocktail.
Super simple and utterly refreshing!
Strawberry Basil Mojito
The perfect summer cocktail - Italian + Cuban = delicious.
If you're a tequila fan, this one is for you! Best results using white/silver (blanco) tequila - that is, unaged and mild in flavor.
- Icy Mojito Recipes to Celebrate the End of Summer
- Happy National Rum Day: Strawberry Mojito
- Thirsty Thursdays: Mama-jito
- Cherry Lime Mojitos
- Hemingway's Cocktail: the Daiquiri 5 Ways
- The Classic Cuban Sandwich
- Wheatless Wednesday: 5 Must Try White Chili Recipes
- Light and Creamy Flan de Leche
- A few traditional cocktails with non-traditional ingredients
- 3 Simple Mexican-Inspired Vegetarian Meal Ideas
- Smoky Chicken Tacos
- Mexican Black Bean and Spice-Rubbed Tofu Torta with Puerto Rican inspired Tostones
- Carb Heaven Crispy Potato Tacos
- Who Says They Don’t Like Cauliflower: Roasted Cauliflower and Poblano Pepper Soup
- It’s A Cold Night Fideo Soup
- Kiwi-Tomatillo Salsa Verde
- Cuban-Style Picadillo
- Black Bean and Fresh Corn Tacos
- Cuban Chicken
- Cuban Black Beans & Rice