Here's a hint: it's all in the fruit.
There was a time, not long ago, when I stood in the grocery store, staring at the immense wall of preserved fruit: jams, jellies, marmalades, straight-up preserves - and wondered, "What is the difference?" They all involve fruit boiled with sugar and pectin, they all come in jars, and I put all of them on toast -- so what am I missing? Well here it is, why you can't find orange jelly or strawberry marmalade and what makes jam jam and not jelly.
Jelly is made from fruit juice, creating a clear, spreadable semi-solid.
Jam is made from pureed, crushed or chopped fruit.
Preserves are made from whole (or large chunks) of fruit in syrup.
Marmalade is basically jam, but made only from citrus fruits and usually including pieces of rind. Oh, and if you're in the UK marmalade is almost exclusively made from bitter Seville oranges -- just so you know.
So there it is, clear as day! So before you begin canning this summer, now you know that your ultra delicious Strawberry Balsamic concoction is in fact jam, which by any other name would taste as sweet.
- Seriously Best Ever Bourbon Cranberry Sauce - Cranberry Craze Pt 2
- Sensational Roasted Cauliflower with Apples and Dill, Gluten Free + Vegan
- 3 Minute Cranberry Relish - No Cooking Required
- Vegan Recipe Roundup: 5 Fall Favorites
- 5 Best Gluten Free Sweet Potato Casserole Recipes
- Gluten Free + Allergy Friendly Thanksgiving Desserts
- Gluten Free Vegan Dark Chocolate Chipotle Cake
- 5 Sinfully Delicious Vegan Chocolate Desserts
- Easiest Ever Gluten Free Lentil Fennel Artichoke Salad
- Meatless Monday: Gluten Free Curry For All Seasons
- Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas)
- Cumin Roasted Cauliflower
- Gluten Free Orange Marmalade Pork Tenderloin
- Wild Rice Stuffing with Cranberries and Hazelnuts - Gluten Free & Dairy Free
- Gnocchi - Sweet Potato Recipes
- Chicken Wing Drummettes
- Chicken Wings
- Tia's Treats
- Cranberry Pudding with Coconut Whipped Cream-gluten free, vegan
- Pumpkin Brownies