No one ever said these Southern fritters had to be battered in flour and fried! Take this tasty recipe for a test drive, using almond flour and coconut oil! Even better, using almond flour, even these tomato slices are low-carb - not to mention dairy free/casein free and vegetarian!
Gluten Free Fried Green Tomatoes
2 medium green tomatoes
1 large egg
2 tablespoons water
1 cup almond flour
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt + 1/4 teaspoon
1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
1/2 cup coconut oil, for frying
Slice the tomatoes about 1/4″ thick. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and allow to rest for 5 minutes (important step - don't skip!)
In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and water until well blended. Mix the almond flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a shallow dish for dredging.
Heat the coconut oil in a heavy-bottomed 12-inch skillet over medium high heat, until the oil reaches 350 F by candy thermometer. Dip the tomato slices in the egg wash, then dredge each slice in the almond flour mixture, gently shaking off any excess flour.
Fry the slices in batches, for 3 to 5 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove the cooked tomato slices to a paper towel to drain. Serve with lime wedges, aioli or a shrimp remoulade & avocados.
- Seriously Best Ever Bourbon Cranberry Sauce - Cranberry Craze Pt 2
- Sensational Roasted Cauliflower with Apples and Dill, Gluten Free + Vegan
- 3 Minute Cranberry Relish - No Cooking Required
- Vegan Recipe Roundup: 5 Fall Favorites
- 5 Best Gluten Free Sweet Potato Casserole Recipes
- Gluten Free Vegan Dark Chocolate Chipotle Cake
- Gluten Free + Allergy Friendly Thanksgiving Desserts
- 5 Sinfully Delicious Vegan Chocolate Desserts
- Last Minute Vegan Gluten Free Desserts
- Easiest Ever Gluten Free Lentil Fennel Artichoke Salad
- Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas)
- Cumin Roasted Cauliflower
- Wild Rice Stuffing with Cranberries and Hazelnuts - Gluten Free & Dairy Free
- Creamy Artichoke Dip with Dill
- Gnocchi - Sweet Potato Recipes
- Red, White & Blue Smoothie
- Chicken Wing Drummettes
- Chicken Wings
- Tia's Treats
- Cranberry Pudding with Coconut Whipped Cream-gluten free, vegan