Low carb never tasted so good! "What can you do with chicken, cream and vegetables?" Oh so much! Add a touch of white wine, fresh herbs, a cast iron skillet and voila! This quick and easy low carb recipe is diabetic-friendly, gluten free and perfect for either a low key weekday dinner or a small dinner party.
Chicken Breasts with Mushrooms and Sage Cream Sauce
1/2 cup chopped shallots
4 Tbsp butter
8-10 ounces whole mushrooms sliced thickly- cremini or shitake
1 teaspoon fresh parsley coarsely chopped
1 cup dry vermouth or dry white wine
2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
3 Tbsp chopped fresh sage
1 Tbsp olive oil
1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts pounded to approximately 1/4 inch thickness (See Tip)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Tip: I use my small 6” cast iron skillet to flatten the chicken breasts between plastic wrap –fast and easy.
After melting 3 Tbsp butter in a large pan- I like to use my cast iron skillet- add the shallots and sauté for one minute. Next add thickly sliced mushrooms and chopped parsley and continue to saute until mushroom are browned- approximately 5-10 minutes. Stir in Vermouth and be sure to incorporate any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the whipping cream. Stir and then bring to a low boil. Reduce the sauce by almost half or until it thickens- approximately 10 minutes.
While the sauce is thickening heat the olive oil and 1 Tbsp butter in a large skillet. Quickly brown the flattened chicken pieces in the oil/butter until cooked through–approximately 3 minutes a side. Place cooked chicken on a warm platter.
Sprinkle the cream sauce with the fresh chopped sage and stir. Salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over chicken and serve immediately.
- Must Try! Chicken Under a Brick
- Fresh Summer Salads
- Gluten Free Cumin Roasted Cauliflower
- Gluten Free Stuffed Mushrooms 3 Ways
- Allergy Friendly Roasted Pumpkin Seeds 3 Ways
- Low Carb Living: Eggs On The Run
- Meatless Monday: Summer Squash with Mozzarella & Tomatoes
- Steamed Artichokes with Roasted Pepper Aioli
- Low Carb Diet and Diabetes
- Low Carb Mustard Recipes
- Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas)
- Feel Good Brownies
- Zucchini Boats
- Chili chops with cauliflower salad
- A Healthy Mexican Salad With Crosnes Served With Cilantro-Yogurt Dressing
- Bacon Butter Cheeseburgers
- Pesto Zucchini "Spaghetti"
- Chicken Breast with Tarragon Mushroom Cream Sauce
- Mustard & Thyme Butter
- Pork Tenderloin with Mustard Caper Cream Sauce