Let’s face it, low carb eating can become pretty boring. One of the must-have tools in your low carb tool box is mustard, which packs a wallop of flavor into any dish and is a natural complement to cream. Did you know that the yellow color of mustard comes from Turmeric being added to mustard flour, and that mustard flour has no flavor until mixed with a liquid? A recent Foodista Blogpost featured a TED talk by Malcolm Gladwell on food and what we want in food and variety. There is a great segment within that talk on mustard (starting at 11:25). Remember the commercial with the Rolls Royce, the butler and Grey Poupon?
Keep dry mustard, mustard seed, grainy mustard and a good Dijon mustard on hand to turn any meal into a gourmet experience. Here are 6 recipes that are low carb, gluten free and diabetic friendly:
Pork Medallions with Mustard –Caper Sauce
This easy entrée takes only 5 minutes to assemble and cooks in 15 minutes
Bayou Shrimp and Veggies with Creole Mustard Sauce
Perfect for hot summer nights!
Baked Salmon with Mustard-Dill Sauce
Only 5 minutes to assemble but needs an hour of standing time for the flavors of the sauce to meld. Works well with halibut too!
Mom's Pan-fried London Broil Steak
Quick and easy!
Mustard-Sauced Asparagus With Chopped Egg
Substitute full fat Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream for the non-fat yogurt
- Allergy Friendly Roasted Pumpkin Seeds 3 Ways
- Must Try! Chicken Under a Brick
- Gluten Free Cumin Roasted Cauliflower
- Steamed Artichokes with Roasted Pepper Aioli
- Gluten Free Stuffed Mushrooms 3 Ways
- Low Carb Living: Eggs On The Run
- Low-Carb and the Big C
- 3 Spectacular Spaghetti Squash Recipes, Gluten Free
- Wheatless Wednesday: Fried Green Tomatoes
- Fresh Summer Salads
- Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas)
- Sugar Free Gluten Free Mini Peppermint Cream Puffs
- Mustard & Thyme Butter
- Pork Tenderloin with Mustard Caper Cream Sauce
- Chicken Breast with Tarragon Mushroom Cream Sauce
- Gluten Free Pumpkin & Pepita Coffee Cake
- Spicy Red Lentil Soup With Magic Potion
- Seared Scallops With Wilted Greens
- Turkish Eggs
- Pesto Zucchini "Spaghetti"