Cindy Zhou of Chubby Chinese Girl recently wrote about an unusual dinner for food bloggers and other food media hosted by George Duran and Phil Lempert that went awry. Judging by the photo above of Zhou's invite, the media thought they were previewing the duo's latest four-course food project at a pop-up restaurant, but it was actually a frozen meal focus group for ConAgra. This last detail wasn't unveiled until the group finished a lackluster meal, participated in guided discussions about eating seasonal, fresh ingredients and received a copy of Duran's cookbook.
The final reveal, however, was that all of the food served came from Marie Callender's frozen boxed meals. Duran merely plated the food items as a chef would, adding fresh herbs or a scoop of ice cream as necessary. What's more, the entire meal was filmed.
As you might imagine, the frozen meal focus group didn't sit well with Zhou. She wrote, "Either they were too confident about their products or just didn't believe in our palates and tastebuds... I'm not their target consumer and they were totally off by thinking I would buy or promote their highly processed frozen foods after tricking me to taste it."
What do you think about the bait-and-switch blogger dinner?
Update: Zhou wasn't the only blogger to criticize the dinner, and ConAgra has since apologized for the stunt. Stephanie Moritz, ConAgra's senior director of public relations and social media, told the New York Times, "It was never our intention to put any bloggers or their guests in an uncomfortable position and for that we are sorry." Moritz said that the Ketchum public relations company tried to stage a hidden-camera ad campaign, feeding off the successes of similar campaigns by Pizza Hut and Domino's.
- ConAgra Being Sued for Being Big Fat Liars
- ConAgra Foods Releases Grocery App
- Mark Salling Joins ConAgra Foods in Fight Against Child Hunger
- Iron Chef America Unveils Frozen Meal Kits
- ConAgra Launches Campaign To Fight Child Hunger
- Bertolli Rolls Out Line of Frozen Meal Soups
- Freezer Meals That Rock: Contessa World Cuisine
- These USA Cookies Are a Patriot's Pastry
- Flip Flop Cookies Will Have You Craving the Beach
- 15 Horrible Meals Lurking In The Freezer Section
- Frozen Banana Yogurt
- Chicken Chowder
- Angel Hair Pasta w Lemon-Garlic Tom
- Fresh and Chilled Cherry Yogurt Smoothie
- Cream of Ham & Potato Soup
- BBQ Chicken, Apple & Cheddar Pizza
- Food Fact Facts - Meat Group
- Baked Chicken In Avocado Boat - Featured In Group Recipes
- Stir Fry Sliced Pork With Young Ginger and Spring Onion - Featured In Group Recipes
- Frozen Berry Smoothie Recipe