Michelle Obama has been on a mission to tackle obesity in America, especially when it comes to kids. Darden Restaurants has announced that two of their brands, Red Lobster and The Olive Garden are going to be making a few healthy changes to their menus, and the First Lady is very happy about it.
"Darden Restaurants Inc. is pledging to cut calories and sodium in its meals by 20 percent over a decade," the company announced. "Among other changes for children, a fruit or vegetable side and low-fat milk will become standard with kids' meals unless a substitution is requested. No more French fries for the little ones unless an adult asks for them."
The First Lady is right on board with this change and is supporting Darden Restaurants in their efforts.
"With this new commitment, Darden is doing what no restaurant company has done before," Obama said. "This is a breakthrough moment in the restaurant industry. I believe the changes that Darden will make could impact the health and well-being of an entire generation of young people."
It's a pretty bold move for the chain restaurants. Perhaps others will soon follow suit?
- Michelle Obama Talks Food and Family on BET
- Breakthrough Moment in Restaurant Industry
- Michelle Obama Takes Secret Shopping Trips
- Obamas Dine at Red Robin Gourmet Burgers for Birthday Celebrations
- Barack and Michelle Obama Dine at BLT Steak
- Michelle Obama Gives Out Fruit and Raisins on Halloween
- Michelle Obama Talks Presidential Diet Weaknesses
- First Lady Urges the Food Industry to Continue Getting Healthier
- Michelle Obama, Alice Waters Among 2011 James Beard Foundation Leadership Award Recipients
- Michelle Obama Food Book Coming April 2012
- Horseradish and Garden Vegetable Dip
- Flower Garden Aglio Oiio With Caviar
- Roasted Garden Vegetables with Garlic and Rosemary
- Roasted-Baked Garden Vegetables with Garlic and Rosemary
- Fresh Garden Tomato Sauce with Grilled Button Mushrooms!!!
- Garden Fresh Tomato Salad
- Lobster and Spicy Red Pepper Couscous Hollandaise
- Garden Baked Red Peppers
- Fried Chicken Strips, Fried Red Bell Pepper Salad, Orange -Tomato Dipping Sauce
- Roasted red peppers and tomatoes salad