Fall is perfect for Brussels sprouts. They love the cold temperatures, becoming sweeter and more crisp when grown in the fall garden. I like to pickle them! The fall crop is perfect for pickling. Here is how you do it:
Pickled Brussels Sprouts
14 cups Brussels sprouts
1/2 cup canning salt
2 cups distilled vinegar
3 Tbsp dill weed
1. Prepare canning jars and lids, according to manufacturer's instructions.
2. Keep jars and lids hot.
3. Wash Brussels sprouts and remove any outer leaves that are damaged. Cook for 5 minutes in boiling water, and then dip in cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain.
4. Pack the sprouts into pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
5. To each packed jar, add 1 1/2 tsp dill weed.
6. Combine the vinegar and salt and pour over sprouts-making sure to leave 1/2 inch headspace. Release any trapped air bubbles (use a chopstick for this).
7. Wipe the rims and apply the lids and bands. Tighten bands firmly but do not overtighten.
8. Process the filled jars in a hot water bath for 10 minutes from the point of boiling.
9. Remove the jars with a jar lifter. Allow the jars to cool completely before testing the seals.
- Canning and Preserving: Pickled Brussels Sprouts
- Canning 101 - Get Pickled
- How To Make Sugar Syrup For Canning
- How To Can Pears
- Pickling Green Beans
- Seasonal Eating: Carrot Marmalade
- 5 Ridiculously Delicious Brussels Sprouts Recipes To Turn Haters into Lovers
- Earth Day Recipe: Pizza with Brussels Sprouts and Parsley Pecan Pesto
- Simple Side Dish: Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Red Onions and Pancetta
- Irresistible Maple-Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pumpkin Seeds
- Sun Dried Tomato and Parmesan Brussels Sprouts
- Jalapeno Salsa
- Pearl Onions and Cantaloupe Pickles
- Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts
- Kielbasa With Brussels Sprouts In Mustard Cream Sauce
- Wild Alaskan Salmon With Brussels Sprouts and Walnut-Lemon Vinaigrette
- Pan Fried Brussels Sprouts
- Balsamic Roasted Chanterelles, Onions and Brussels Sprouts
- Caramelized Onions & Brussels Sprouts Soup
- Brussels Sprouts With Cream Sauce