Vegetarian Awareness Month kicks off today with World Vegetarian Day, celebrating the vegetarian lifestyle and aiming to raise awareness through education (read: awesome recipes and cool information!). Vegetarianism is so much more than tofu! Discover different vegetarian lifestyles and new recipes to love.
Types of Vegetarianism
Lacto-Ovo Vegetarianism - no meat, but dairy and eggs are fine -- this is what most people think of when they say or hear "vegetarian"!
Pescatarian - No meat, but fish is in), Flexitarian (that's me! Non-vegetarians who eati a mostly veggie diet)
Vegan - no animal products whatsoever, including dairy, honey and derivatives
Raw - a diet consisting of only uncooked/processed foods, primarily fruits and vegetables, but also including raw nuts and seeds
Macrobiotic - "unprocessed vegan foods, such as whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and allows the occasional consumption of fish. Sugar and refined oils are avoided. Perhaps the most unique qualifier of the macrobiotic diet is its emphasis on the consumption of Asian vegetables, such as daikon, and sea vegetables, such as seaweed." (from About.com)
So hug a vegetarian today and, from one flexitarian to another, maybe think about the Meatless Monday Campaign and the industrial and environmental impacts of eating meat.
Check out these links for some fabulous vegetarian recipes and ideas!
- Gluten Free Cumin Roasted Cauliflower
- 5 Perfect Vegan Pumpkin Recipes
- It's National Pickle Day!
- 5 Ridiculously Tasty Gluten Free Cabbage Recipes
- Holy Cannoli! 5 Best Allergy-Friendly Recipes to Celebrate National Cannoli Day!
- Meatless Monday: 3 Gluten Free Super Sweet Potato Recipes
- 3 Must Try 'No Potato' Leek Soup Recipes - Vegan + Gluten Free
- Dole Nutrition Institute to Participate in Food Day Campaign
- 5 Best Gluten Free Sweet Potato Recipes
- Haters to Lovers 5 Best Cauliflower Recipes