In the latest issue of Rolling Stone, drummer Travis Barker opened up about how the devastating 2008 plane crash -- which killed four of his crew mates and left him in critical condition -- incentivized his now-healthy lifestyle and vegan diet. "I've been vegan since I got out of the hospital," he revealed. "It's another eye opener. It changed my life in a number of ways. I mean, I run every day now. I never ran before. In the hospital, I promised myself that if I ever walked again, that I would eat well and swim every day."
Barker also admitted that the plane crash indirectly caused him to kick his longtime addiction to painkillers, even after his hospital stint in which he was prescribed some 21 forms of medication. "The doctor said that I would be on half of them for the rest of my life... I had my kids looking up to me and wanting me to bounce back. Just to be given a second chance, knowing my partners didn't get that, I had to make the most of my time."
Barker's career has never been brighter: Blink-182 has reformed and are currently on tour to promote their "Neighborhoods" album. Are you a Travis Barker fan?
- Travis Barker's Kids are Vegans
- Travis Barker Goes Vegan
- Must-Try Vegan Recipe: Cauliflower Flatbread with Avocado and Hummus
- The Ultimate Diet Friendly Pizza
- Allergy Friendly Roasted Pumpkin Seeds 3 Ways
- Gluten Free Cumin Roasted Cauliflower
- Ellen DeGeneres Launches Vegan Website, "Going Vegan With Ellen"
- 3 Minute Cranberry Relish - No Cooking Required
- Where Do Vegans Get Their Protein? A Brief Investigation
- Bob Barker Talks Vegetarian Diet