For anyone who has seen the 1998 Coen Brothers' cult classic The Big Lebowski, you hold a special place in your heart for the White Russian cocktail. The Dude manages to suck down 9 of these classic vodka-kahlua-cream concoctions throughout the course of the film, causing a 21st century cocktail revival for this simple elixir. While the classic version is a ratio of 5:2:3, I much prefer a 4:2:1 blend - as seen below!
The White Russian Recipe
2 oz vodka
1 oz coffee liquer (Kahlua or Tia Maria)
1/2 oz cream (half-and-half, whole milk or heavy cream)
Combine vodka and liqueur in an old fashioned or rocks glass with ice. Float cream on top.
Some awesome variations include...
Chai-Spiced White Russian
By infusing your vodka with ginger and cardamom, you can add a sweet-spicy kick to this winter time classic.
Named for the Big Lebowski, this complex variation does away with the somtimes-too-sweet Kahlua and adds a few other interesting ingredients...
- Thirsty Thursday: The Mojito 6 Ways
- Ben & Jerry's Big Lebowski Ice Cream is the Next Cult Classic Sweet
- Thirsty Thursday: 3 Classic Eggnog Recipes
- Thirsty Thursdays: Classic Egg Cream
- Thirsty Thursdays: Classic Brazilian Caipirinha
- Thirsty Thursday: 5 Best Gluten Free Summer Cocktails
- Thirsty Thursday: Sangria Poptails 5 Ways
- Thirsty Thursday: 10 Best Vegan Shakes and Smoothies
- Thirsty Thursdays: Watermelon Margarita Slushie
- Thirsty Thursday: Cherry Cocktails
- Classic Daiquiri Cocktail
- Classic Margarita
- Classic Champagne Cocktail
- Classic Mint Julep
- German Beef Rouladen - An International Classic Recipe with a Hungarian Twist
- Spiced and salted buttermilk drink
- Classic Yorkshire Pudding
- Classic scones
- Classic Hush Puppies
- A sensational summer sip from Prince Edward Island, The "Eddy"