A little bit spicy and infused with a healthy, smoky flavor, chipotle peppers are for more than just crazy good salsa. Combined with sweets (like chili chocolate truffles!), the smokiness is both enhanced and mellowed, creating a pleasantly unusual combination of flavors and sensations! If you're out to impress your family and friends, just try something a little different, or are like me and harbor a secret food-crush on anything chipotle, these recipes are a perfect introduction. All gluten free and utterly delicious, these sweet and smoky-spicy recipes will wow your guests and satisfy your craving for the unconventional!
Chipotle Cranberry Bread
1 Tbsp canola or coconut oil, divided
1 1/3 cup gluten free all-purpose flour
1 chipotle pepper (in adobo sauce)
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro
1/2 cup dried cranberries (Craisins)
2 Tbsp honey
2 tsp gluten free baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper, ground
5 oz milk
1 egg (lightly beaten)
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
Preheat oven to 400 F.
With a mortar and pestle, grind the chipotle pepper and fresh cilnatro to form a coarse paste (or try it my way using a zip-top freezer bag, towels for insulation and a small cast iron skillet/mallet!)
Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and pepper into a large mixing bowl. Add the cranberries and stir just to coat. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, honey and eggs, whisking until just combined, then slowly stir into the dry ingredients. Mix in the chipotle-cilantro paste and melted butter, stirring until just incorporated.
Add 1/2 Tbsp oil to a large, deep (at least 3 inches!) cast iron skillet or Dutch Oven. On the stove, heat your skillet over medium-high heat until the oil shimmers. Remove the pan from the heat and carefully pour half of the batter into the oil (it should sizzle loudly). Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the center springs back when touched, the edges are crisp, the top golden brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Loosen the edges of the loaf using a butter knife and carefully turn the loaf out onto a wire rack to cool. Scrape out your pan, add remaining oil, reheat and repeat for your second loaf! Alternately, you can grease a small loaf or cake pan and bake the second half of the batter right alongside!
- Seriously Best Ever Bourbon Cranberry Sauce - Cranberry Craze Pt 2
- 3 Minute Cranberry Relish - No Cooking Required
- Vegan Recipe Roundup: 5 Fall Favorites
- Gluten Free Vegan Dark Chocolate Chipotle Cake
- Gluten Free + Allergy Friendly Thanksgiving Desserts
- Last Minute Vegan Gluten Free Desserts
- 5 Best Gluten Free Sweet Potato Casserole Recipes
- 5 Must Try Gluten Free Pumpkin Cookie Recipes - Allergy Friendly
- Sensational Roasted Cauliflower with Apples and Dill, Gluten Free + Vegan
- Gluten Free Vegan Bourbon Pumpkin Pie
- Cranberry Pudding with Coconut Whipped Cream-gluten free, vegan
- Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas)
- Thanksgiving Holiday Stuffing - gluten free, vegan
- Gluten-Free Pie Crust
- Wild Rice Stuffing with Cranberries and Hazelnuts - Gluten Free & Dairy Free
- Red, White & Blue Smoothie
- Creamy Artichoke Dip with Dill
- Cocoa Stout Cupcakes
- Easter Bunny's Vegan Ambrosia Salad
- Tia's Treats