Who says Thanksgiving has to be artery-clogging? This vegan gravy isn’t just for the vegans at your Thanksgiving table. In fact, with rich mushroom-y flavor and a creamy texture, it’s likely to be a hit among even the hardcore carnivores at your table!
Vegan mushroom Gravy
3 tablespoons oil (olive, high-oleic safflower, or organic canola)
3 medium shallots, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons flour, all-purpose or white whole wheat
3 tablespoons low-sodium tamari
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped
8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced (5 oz. if you buy pre-sliced)
3 cups vegetable stock
2/3 cup wine, preferably dry marsala or Madeira, otherwise a dry white
½ teaspoon poultry seasoning (or substitute a mixture of dried thyme and sage)
Black pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the shallots and garlic and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
Add the flour and mix well with a wooden spoon. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, stirring, until the mushrooms are softened and give off some liquid. A thick but moist paste will form around the mushrooms. Stir in the tamari, mix well and cook for 1 minute.
Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 5-7 minutes, until somewhat thickened.
Puree in a food processor or blender until very smooth.
Note that the gravy will thicken as it sits, so if you make it in advance, reheat and then add additional stock as necessary.
Look for more heart-healthy vegan recipes from Cathy Elton on What Would Cathy Eat.
- 3 Minute Cranberry Relish - No Cooking Required
- Gluten Free Vegan Dark Chocolate Chipotle Cake
- Must Try Apple Cider Roasted Carrots with Rosemary
- Gluten Free + Allergy Friendly Thanksgiving Desserts
- 3 Must Try Vegan Gluten Free Thanksgiving Side Dishes
- 5 Must Try Gluten Free Pumpkin Cookie Recipes - Allergy Friendly
- 5 Beautiful Butternut Squash Casseroles - Gluten Free
- Easy Entertaining: 3 Must-Try Gluten Free Appetizers
- Allergy Friendly Roasted Pumpkin Seeds 3 Ways
- Sensational Roasted Cauliflower with Apples and Dill, Gluten Free + Vegan