One of the fastest growing wine markets in the world lies in China and famed ex-NBA player Yao Ming looks to bring good wine to his fellow countrymen. He has created his own California winery, named Yao Family Wines, targeted exclusively at the Chinese market.
Ming retired from the NBA recently and has returned to live in Shanghai. During his time in the United States, he was inspired to learn more about wine from fellow player Dikembe Mutombo. Now, his first 5,000 case release, named simply Yao Ming, will go on sale in China for 1,775 yuan (US $289) a bottle. The wine uses 2009 cabernet sauvignon grapes from Napa Valley. A more limited release, Yao Family Reserve, will be released later this year in a 500 case batch.
French beverage giant Pernod Ricard SA will distribute the wine. "I really like Napa Valley," Ming said. "California represents vacation, casual [living], sunshine—everything related to a good quality of life."
See other celebrity wine makers:
- Yao Ming Releases PSA to Ban Shark Fin Soup
- Kindergartner Spits Out Tom Colicchio's Food at Great American Family Dinner Challenge
- Interview with Winemaker Sam Spencer
- Music is the Muse for Many Winemakers
- LeBron James Adds Sheets Energy Strips to His NBA Finals Routine
- Frank Talk About Napa Chardonnay and Oak
- Shaq Becomes Newest Face of Got Milk
- Dallas Mavericks' $110,000 Bar Tab
- This Car Runs on Wine and Cheese
- Thirsty Thursday Looks At Climate Change
- The Best Tomato Sauce In The World
- Chung Yao Beng - Scallion Pancakes A.K.A. Chinese Flat Bread
- Egg-Ceptional Croque-Madame With Lightly Dressed Greens and Fresh Fruit
- Luxurious Spinach and Mung Bean Soup
- Luxury Lasagna
- Luxurious Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Fusilli With Roasted Delicata Squash & Fresh Sage Brown Butter
- Winter Kimchi
- spicy cucumber, carrot & onion refrigerator pickles
- Fresh Fig Cake With Amaretto Fig Compote And 2 Great Dessert Wines