It's pretty safe to say that almost everyone has heard of pumpkin bread, pumpkin cakes, pumpkin bars, pumpkin scones or pumpkin cookies -- and what are pumpkins? That's right, squash. While we all seem to have butternut on the brain these days, what about making something other than soups or salads? What about (gluten free) butternut squash bundts? Delicious delicata desserts? Kabocha cakes? On that note, this week's combined Weird & Wheatless Wednesday explores the amazingly delicious combination of gluten free squash & sweets!
Sweet Pumpkin Swiss Cake (above, left)
Also known as a jelly roll, sweet roulade or unfrosted Bouche de Noël, this addictively delicious dessert is made by rolling a layer of spongy pumpkin cake around a cream cheese-vanilla bean filling.
Kabocha Squash Cake (above, right)
An incredibly moist spice cake makes for a simple, healthy dessert that doubles as a breakfast bread!
Gluten Free Spiced Butternut Bread
Makes 3 Mini Loaves // (top, center)
1 small butternut squash; cubed, roasted or steamed and pureed -- enough to make 2 cups pureed squash
4 large eggs
3/4 cup canola or safflower oil
1/2-2/3 cup water
3 cups sugar
3 1/2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour blend
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon, ground
1 tsp nutmeg, ground
1/2 tsp cloves, ground
1/4 tsp ginger, ground
Preheat oven to 350°F then grease and lightly flour three 7×3-inch mini loaf pans.
Combine squash puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together gluten free flour, baking soda and spices. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just incorporated. Pour batter into prepared loaf pans.
Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the tops of the loaves are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of each loaf comes out clean.
- 3 Minute Cranberry Relish - No Cooking Required
- DIY Easy Homemade Gourmet Marshmallows
- Gluten Free Vegan Dark Chocolate Chipotle Cake
- GF Almond Cranberry Bundt Cakes - Cranberry Craze Pt 1
- 3 Best Gluten Free Cranberry Desserts - Cranberry Craze Pt 4
- Gluten Free Vegan Bourbon Pumpkin Pie
- Seriously Best Ever Bourbon Cranberry Sauce - Cranberry Craze Pt 2
- Decadent Desserts: No Bake Turtle Pumpkin Pie, Gluten Free
- 3 Must Try Garlic Mashed Potato Recipes
- Savory Gluten Free Cranberry Appetizers - Cranberry Craze Pt 5
- Strawberry Watermelon Mint Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
- Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas)
- Gluten Free Dairy Free Orange Rosemary Cupcakes
- Ginger Cookies- gluten free, soy free, vegan
- Gnocchi - Sweet Potato Recipes
- Red, White & Blue Smoothie
- Rainbow Cookies-Pink for Breast Cancer Awraeness Month
- Peppermint Brookie Pies - gluten free, dairy free
- Wild Rice Stuffing with Cranberries and Hazelnuts - Gluten Free & Dairy Free