January 25, 2012
This black bean and sweet potato soup will transport you to the tropical isles of the Caribbean. It has all the flavors you want in a soup- sweet, spicy, and bright. The soup begins with dried black beans that need to be soaked overnight. If you are not into planning ahead, you can always use canned beans for a quick supper. Serve this delicious black bean soup with some homemade corn bread (not traditional, but delicious). Black bean and sweet potato soup will turn your winter blues into vibrant rays of culinary bliss.
1 pound dry organic black turtle beans
2 tablespoons organic coconut oil (or olive oil)
1 organic onion, chopped (I used sweet yellow)
4 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp thyme
2 tsp course sea salt
8 cups of vegetable broth or water
4 cups local or organic sweet potatoes peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 bunch organic green onions, thinly cut
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Rinse beans and place in a large bowl. Cover beans with 4 inches of water and soak overnight (or 8 hours). Strain and rinse black beans.
In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeno and sauté for 10 minutes, until soft.
Add beans and vegetable broth or water. Stir in ginger, allspice, thyme and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes.
Add sweet potatoes and brown sugar and simmer for an additional 30 minutes, until beans and sweet potatoes are soft.
Puree 1 cup of the soup in a blender and then add it back into the soup pot. Stir in cilantro and green onion. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Black Bean, Sweet Potato, and Caramelized Onion Enchiladas
- Smokey Black Bean Soup
- Quick and Easy Cuban Black Beans and Rice
- Sizzling Cinco de Mayo Recipes: Vegan Black Bean Tacos
- Taco Tuesday: Black Bean and Corn Tacos
- Black Bean Salsa for Thrifty Thursday
- Gluten-Free Empanadas with Mango Salsa
- Cooking with Sweet Potatoes: 5 Savory Recipes to Prepare this Fall
- Gluten-Free + Vegan Chipotle and White Bean Burritos
- Meatless Monday: Refried Bean and Avocado Tostadas
- Mexican Black Bean and Spice-Rubbed Tofu Torta with Puerto Rican inspired Tostones
- Black Bean, Caramelized Onion & Sweet Potato Enchiladas
- Black Bean and Fresh Corn Tacos
- Quick Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos
- Caribbean black bean and sweet potato soup
- Black Bean and Corn Tostadas
- Vegetarian Tostadas With Spicy Black Beans (+gluten free)
- INDIAN 5-SPICE TOMATO RELISH
- Black Bean, Salsa and Cheddar Taquitos with an Avocado Dipping Sauce
- Spiced Chicken With Black Bean and Mango Salsa