January 25, 2012
Savory oatmeal is an unexpectedly delicious dish. Flavored with Asian ingredients, this dish is wonderful for breakfast, lunch or dinner. This is a base recipe for savory oatmeal, feel free to add other ingredients like fresh scallions, bbq pork or fragrant ginger. Savory oatmeal is a dish you thought you wouldn't like but ended up loving.
1 cup water
1/2 cup oats
1/3 cup onion, diced
1-1/2 teaspoons soy sauce, plus more for drizzling
1/4 teaspoon Sriracha
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
Bring 1 cup water to a boil. Stir in oats and cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until thickened and creamy, about 1-1/2 minutes. Cover oats and remove the pot from heat.
Heat a small pan over medium heat; coat evenly with cooking spray.
Crack egg into pan and cook for about 3 minutes, or until whites become opaque and yolk is slightly set, but still runny.
Remove egg and set aside; add diced onions and saute until soft.
Add soy sauce and Sriracha to oatmeal; stir to combine.
Scoop oats into a bowl and top with diced onions and fried egg.
Drizzle with sesame oil and soy sauce.
- Gotta Have It: Spicy Fried Chicken
- Easter Brunch Recipes: Savory Caramelized Onion Scones
- 5 Sweet and Savory Coconut Recipes
- Sweet Turned Savory: Ham Stuffed Waffles
- Must-Read Blog Posts: Sweet and Savory Breakfast
- Savory Strata - The Perfect Christmas Breakfast
- 11 Best Sweet & Savory Crepes Recipes
- 6 Sweet-Savory Cranberry Apricot Recipes
- Savory Stuffed Corn Muffins
- Easy Savory Breakfast Scone Recipe
- Instant Oatmeal Mix
- Savory Chicken Meatballs with Penne Pasta
- Vegetable Upma (Savory Semolina Porridge)
- Savory Pork Chops Stuffed With Kale and Mushrooms
- Savory Rosemary Turkey Cutlets With Fingerling Potatoes and Zucchini
- Savory Roasted Pepper and Basil Quiche Bites Appetizer
- Bread Machine Apple Breakfast Buns
- Savory Herb Crusted Chicken With Zucchini Hash Browns
- Oatmeal Bread
- Coconut Agave Oatmeal with Dates