The New York City Department of Health is raising awareness for Type 2 diabetes through a shocking ad campaign that features able-bodied actor Cleo Berry digitally amputated to illustrate the dangers of sugary soda and fast food. Berry posed for the photo shoot several years ago, but wasn't aware that the photos he took would be retouched to remove a limb.
"I was beyond shocked," he told the New York Times. Berry also said that the city should have used a real image of someone who has Type 2 diabetes if its intent was to show the debilitating facets of the disease: "You are New York City, for God's sake. Give it to us the right way or we won't believe you at all."
Health department spokesman John Kelly responded to the controversy in a statement that said, in part, "This issue isn't about one actor but rather the 700,000 New Yorkers who struggle with diabetes, which kills 1,700 people a year and causes amputations in another 3,000. Advertising to warn the public about health concerns saves lives, and we will continue our efforts to warn New Yorkers about diabetes."
A photo of the ad, courtesy of the New York Times, appears below. Do you think the health department should have used an actor with diabetes for further authenticity?
- The True Cost of Soda
- Gluten Free Stuffed Mushrooms 3 Ways
- Grand Tasting Event at the Food Network NYC Wine and Food Festival
- 26th Annual Benefit Honors James Beard & Features Star Chefs
- Top 5 Greek Recipes from Chef Gilda Mulero
- Millesime Celebrates Entrance Opening with 1904 Prices
- Want to Go Skydiving With Anthony Bourdain?
- Top 10 Healthy Restaurants in New York City
- Another Racist Incident at Fast Food Restaurant
- New Yorker Attempts to Visit Every Starbucks in the City
- Long Fusilli With Italian Sausages
- Banana & blueberry muffins
- New York-Style Crumb Cake
- New York Strip Steak w Asparagus & Mini Bell Peppers
- New York Steak au Poivre with Balsamic Reduction
- Pan Seared New York Steak with Whiskey Cream Sauce
- Steak with Baked Potatoes with Cheese and Butter
- New York Steaks with Wine Sauce
- Blueberry Bake
- Pesto Roasted Potatoes