February 16, 2012
Chocolate mousse in a chocolate shell is an irresistible dessert. This simple but satisfying dessert only requires six ingredients (if you are counting the rum!). Serve this chocolate mousse in a beautiful glass bowl, in individual jars, or if you want to splurge, chocolate shells (can be purchased online or in specialty cooking stores). Chocolate mousse in chocolate shells is a decadent last course that will impress any dinner guest.
1 3/4 cups whipping cream
12 ounces quality semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 ounces espresso or strong coffee
1 tablespoon dark rum (optional)
4 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon flavorless, granulated gelatin
Chill 1 1/2 cups whipping cream in refrigerator. Chill metal mixing bowl and mixer beaters in freezer.
In top of a double boiler, combine chocolate chips, coffee, rum and butter. Melt over barely simmering water, stirring constantly. Remove from heat while a couple of chunks are still visible. Cool, stirring occasionally to just above body temperature.
Pour remaining 1/4 cup whipping cream into a metal measuring cup and sprinkle in the gelatin. Allow gelatin to "bloom" for 10 minutes. Then carefully heat by swirling the measuring cup over a low gas flame or candle. Do not boil or gelatin will be damaged. Stir mixture into the cooled chocolate and set aside.
In the chilled mixing bowl, beat cream to medium peaks. Stir 1/4 of the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture to lighten it. Fold in the remaining whipped cream in two doses. There may be streaks of whipped cream in the chocolate and that is fine. Do not over work the mousse.
Spoon into bowls, chocolate cups (see note in About section) or martini glasses and chill for at least 1 hour. Garnish with fruit and serve.
(If mousse is to be refrigerated overnight, chill for one hour and then cover each with plastic wrap)
- To Die For: Chocolate Mousse in Chocolate Shell
- Irresistable Chocolate Skillet Cake
- Irresistible Chocolate Cherry Cookies
- Irresistible Chocolate Pumpkin Doughnut Bites
- Irresistible No-Bake Hazelnut Chocolate Cake
- Irresistible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
- Diabetes Friendly Chocolate Mousse Pie
- Raw Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- Tiramisu Chocolate Mousse
- Simple Chocolate Mousse Recipe
- Chocolate Mousse in Chocolate Shell
- Chocolate-Rocher Mousse Cake
- Maraschino & White Chocolate Mousse
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cups
- Irresistible Baked Potato Chips
- Candy Cane Peppermint Mousse
- Brown Sugar Sponge Cookie w/ Chocolate Covered Caramels
- Chocolate-Date Cake with Chocolate Sticky Toffee Glaze
- Chocolate Pudding/Chocolate Pot De Creme
- Chocolate chip cookies, easier that buying:-)