Dyeing Easter eggs is a tradition for many of us around the world. Did you know that you can make egg colors from plants and foods you probably have in the cupboard?
The colors, although pretty, won't be as shockingly bright as the store colors, but they will be beautiful and certainly one of a kind.
Here are some foods and plants that make beautiful dye colors. There are many more:
- Brown: Comfrey leaves, juniper berries, rose hips, fennel, onion skins, walnut shells.
- Yellow: Elder leaves, Heather leaves, Marigold petals, Onion skins, Sorrel, Tansy, Turmeric.
- Green: Rosemary, Hyssop, Spinach
- Purple: Violet flowers, Hibiscus flowers(these are usually sold as a tea).
- Red: Dandelion root, St. John's Wort flowers
To make patterns on the eggs:
Wrap the egg with non absorbant strips, like long blades of grass, or plastic cord.
Moisten leaves or flower petals and smooth them onto the surface of the egg.
Use pieces of plastic bag to cut a shape and smooth it onto the surface of the egg.
Once you have your material in place, slip the egg into the toe of a nylon stocking and tie a knot just above the egg. You can repeat this step, until the stocking is filled with eggs. This can then be submerged into your dye bath. Enjoy!
- Natural Dye Easter Eggs From The Kitchen
- How to Dye Easter Eggs Naturally
- Kitchen Raid Reveals Natural Easter Egg Dyes
- Complete Your Easter With These Amazing Cadbury Egg Doughnuts
- Video Tutorial: Tye Dye Easter Egg Cupcakes in Egg Shells
- The Talking Easter Egg Aids Your Search Efforts
- Extra Easter Candy - Make Food
- Pantone Easter Eggs are Perfect for a Graphic Designer's Easter Egg Hunt
- Skittles Easter Eggs Campaign Creeps You Out with Interactive Videos
- Delicate Easter Egg Cookies Gussy Up Any Goodie Basket
- Unstuffed Turkey Cabbage- Sans the Cabbage
- Easter Nest Sweet Cake With Sour Cream-Royal Icing and Pistachios
- Purple Potato Slaw
- Smoky Deviled Eggs
- Greek Easter bread
- 12 steps to heavenly hard boiled eggs
- A twist on soda bread, Irish Oat Scones
- Orange Scented Steam Cake with Strawberries
- Make Ahead Quiche
- Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas)