Actress Drew Barrymore recently spoke to LA Weekly about growing up in Los Angeles and the foods that helped form some of her fondest memories. Barrymore reveals she has always been pretty adventurous when it comes to her taste buds, despite her mostly vegetarian upbringing.
"I remember my godfather had me eat sushi when I was 7-years-old, which in 1982, it was just sort of really coming into fashion. He ate all sorts of really crazy, exotic stuff," Barrymore said. "I remember eating octopus when I was like 6 or 7-years-old, and it's still, to this day, one of my very favorite foods. That chewy, rubbery, yummy consistency that I think is super repellent to some people and is so desirable to others -- it's a real divider."
Even though Barrymore tried many exotic foods at a young age, she didn't become familiar with most meats until she was older.
"There was a lot of meat I didn't eat growing up, so sometimes when I taste them now they're still extremely gamey to me. I really love beef and fish, but sometimes when I get into the gamier meats, I don't feel like it's for me."
To read more about Barrymore's LA food memories, click here.
- Drew Barrymore Brings Her Own Crackers to Lunch
- Drew Barrymore Quits Vegetarian Diet
- Drew Barrymore Takes Cooking Lessons to Prep for Married Life
- Drew Barrymore Serves Her Own Wine at Wedding
- Drew Barrymore's Pregnancy Diet
- Drew Barrymore: 'Wine is About Tradition'
- Drew Barrymore Launches Her Own Wine
- Drew Barrymore Traveled to Kenya with the World Food Programme
- Gordon Ramsay Nearly Arrested in Los Angeles
- The Los Angeles Food and Wine Festival is Back From Aug. 9-12
- Happy Thanksgiving Week! - Grill Zuchinni, Yellow Squash & Pomegranates Salad
- Gluten Free Angel Food Cake
- One Thousand Ants - Angel Food Cake
- Recipe Of The Week: Beet Salad
- Recipe Of The Week: Lenten Lentil Soup
- Recipe Of The Week: Baked Halibut
- S'mores-n-berry Bars for National S'mores Day - August 10
- Persimmon Margarita
- Mexican Candied Pumpkin
- French Vanilla Butter Cake With Raspberry Filling Vanilla Buttercream Frosting and Bittersweet Ganache