April 30, 2012
In honor of Cinco de Mayo, we are sharing a delicious vegetarian burrito recipe for Meatless Monday. Zucchini, yellow squash and red peppers are grilled with oregano, olive oil, and plenty of garlic. The veggies are paired with chunks of creamy avocado and spicy tomatillo salsa in the burrito. This recipe is on the lighter side but feel free to add rice, beans, and your favorite cheese. The fresh flavors in this Mexican inspired meal will make you forget that it is vegetarian.
2 Zucchini trimmed
2 Yellow squash trimmed
2 Red bell peppers cored, seeded, and cut in quarters
1/4 cup Olive oil
2 tablespoons Minced garlic
1 bn Oregano, leaves only chopped
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Freshly-ground black pepper
4 Flour Tortillas
1-2 Avocados (depending on size)
Store- Bought Tomatillo Salsa (Green Salsa)
1/4 cup cilantro chopped
Slice the zucchini and yellow squash lengthwise into wedges. Toss the vegetables in a large bowl with the oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Let sit at least 1 hour to marinate.
Preheat the grill.
Grill the vegetables over hot coals (or cook in a hot dry skillet) until tender, turning occasionally to avoid charring.
While vegetable are cooking, dice avocado.
To assemble, warm the tortillas briefly on the grill to render them pliable, and spread them out on a counter. Divide the vegetables and place in a strip down the center of each tortilla. Add avocado, chopped cilantro and a drizzle of the tomatillo salsa (being careful not to over sauce, or the burritos will be soggy). Fold the bottom quarter of each tortilla up and then roll from the side into a cylinder. Serve immediately, with the remaining salsa on the side.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
- 3 Must Try Vegan Gluten Free Thanksgiving Side Dishes
- Light and Healthy Quinoa Burrito Bowls
- Gluten-Free + Vegan Chipotle and White Bean Burritos
- Vegetarian Cinco de Mayo Recipes: Tofu Enchiladas
- Vegetarian Cinco de Mayo Recipes: Tofu Tacos
- It's National Pickle Day!
- Meatless Monday: Coconut Curry with Peppers, Bok Choi, and Tomatoes
- Meatless Monday: Chiles Rellenos
- Meatless Monday: Tofurkey
- Meatless Monday: Italian Baked Eggs
- Walnut Lentil Burgers with Tarragon
- Black Bean, Caramelized Onion & Sweet Potato Enchiladas
- Black Bean, Salsa and Cheddar Taquitos with an Avocado Dipping Sauce
- Pressed Bean, Veggie & Cheddar Burrito
- Curry Lentil & Eggplant Lettuce Tacos
- Spinach Cheese Tortellini
- Roasted Veggie Burrito
- Black Trumpet Mushroom Risotto
- Imitation Whole Bowl Tali Sauce
- Tofu Vegetable Salad