April 30, 2012
In honor of Cinco de Mayo, we are sharing a delicious vegetarian burrito recipe for Meatless Monday. Zucchini, yellow squash and red peppers are grilled with oregano, olive oil, and plenty of garlic. The veggies are paired with chunks of creamy avocado and spicy tomatillo salsa in the burrito. This recipe is on the lighter side but feel free to add rice, beans, and your favorite cheese. The fresh flavors in this Mexican inspired meal will make you forget that it is vegetarian.
2 Zucchini trimmed
2 Yellow squash trimmed
2 Red bell peppers cored, seeded, and cut in quarters
1/4 cup Olive oil
2 tablespoons Minced garlic
1 bn Oregano, leaves only chopped
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Freshly-ground black pepper
4 Flour Tortillas
1-2 Avocados (depending on size)
Store- Bought Tomatillo Salsa (Green Salsa)
1/4 cup cilantro chopped
Slice the zucchini and yellow squash lengthwise into wedges. Toss the vegetables in a large bowl with the oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Let sit at least 1 hour to marinate.
Preheat the grill.
Grill the vegetables over hot coals (or cook in a hot dry skillet) until tender, turning occasionally to avoid charring.
While vegetable are cooking, dice avocado.
To assemble, warm the tortillas briefly on the grill to render them pliable, and spread them out on a counter. Divide the vegetables and place in a strip down the center of each tortilla. Add avocado, chopped cilantro and a drizzle of the tomatillo salsa (being careful not to over sauce, or the burritos will be soggy). Fold the bottom quarter of each tortilla up and then roll from the side into a cylinder. Serve immediately, with the remaining salsa on the side.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
- Gluten-Free + Vegan Chipotle and White Bean Burritos
- Meatless Mexican Tacos + Frozen Coconut-Mango Margaritas
- Meatless Monday: Vegan Fajita Quesadilla
- Meatless Monday Recipe: Mexican Chopped Salad
- Meatless Monday: Roasted Vegetable Tacos
- Meatless Monday: Refried Bean and Avocado Tostadas
- Meatless Monday: Vegan Quesadillas
- 3 Vegetarian Recipes to Try on Meatless Monday
- Meatless Monday: Chiles Rellenos
- Sizzling Cinco de Mayo Recipes: Vegan Black Bean Tacos
- Pressed Bean, Veggie & Cheddar Burrito
- Best Breakfast Burrito
- Roasted Veggie Burrito
- Meatless Monday Black Bean Soup
- Meatless Monday :: Squash & Sweet Potato Fritatta
- Meatless Monday :: Potato, Leek & Corn Chowder
- Meatless Monday :: Easy Tilapia, Broccoli Rabe & Roasted Potato Wedges
- Carb Heaven Crispy Potato Tacos
- Who Says They Don’t Like Cauliflower: Roasted Cauliflower and Poblano Pepper Soup
- It’s A Cold Night Fideo Soup