The eighth season of The Next Food Network Star is about to begin and Bobby Flay is dishing on what we can expect from his new role as a coach (instead of a judge).
"I think that they may have taken a cue from the way I was judging these last seven years. I always felt like I was mentoring from the judging table as best I could," Flay said. "I always felt like I wanted to jump over the judging table and actually take these people under my wing, because you really get connected to them -- especially the people who kind of hang around for a while."
Flay also said that it's the three judges' very different personalities that make for an entertaining competition.
"The three of us coaches look at this very, very differently: My feeling is that if you can cook, I can teach you how to do television; Giada's feeling is if you have a personality, then I can teach you how to cook on TV; and Alton's philosophy is if you're quirky, I want to work with you," he said. "It really is our personalities -- I picked people that had some really good cooking chops. As long as they're comfortable with food, then I can get them to be comfortable in front of a camera. Obviously the other two coaches don't agree with that, but that's what makes this really fantastic."
The eighth season of The Next Food Network Star begins tomorrow at 9 pm on the Food Network.
- New 'Food Network Star' is Crowned
- The Next Food Network Star Casting Call
- 'The Social Network' Star Opens a Bakery
- Bobby Flay Guest Stars on 'Portlandia'
- 'Pioneer Woman' to Premiere on the Food Network Next Week
- Bobby Flay to Host Fundraising Event in Toronto
- The Food Network and Cooking Channel Announce New Shows for 2012
- Bobby Flay to Open Bobby's Burger Palace at University of Maryland
- America's Next Great Restaurant Closes Two Locations
- Watch a Clip From David Chang's New Show 'The Mind of a Chef'
- Bobbi's Blazin' Sausage and White Bean Soup
- Bobbi's Butter Pound Cake
- Bobbi's Chicken Parmesan
- Bobby Flay's Trattoria Burger
- Bobbi's Crab Chowder
- Why I Decided To Make Indian Spiced Tri-Tip Tacos With Tangy Tomato Sauce
- Spicy Red Lentil Soup With Magic Potion
- Aarti’s Green Minty Curry Chicken
- Pulled Pork With Mango Bbq Sauce
- Peanut Butter and Apple Oatmeal Breakfast Bars