Italians know their dessert and one of the simplest is caffe affogato. A scoop of vanilla gelato is drowned is fresh hot espresso. The best part comes when the gelato begins to melt and mix with the espresso to create a creamy coffee sauce. This dessert can easily be turned into a cocktail with the addition of a shot of amaretto, a almond flavored liqueur. Caffe affogato is so quick and easy, you'll be making it all summer long.
1 Very cold glass dish
1 scoop of Vanilla Bean Gelato (about 3- 4 oz)
1 shot of Espresso
1 spoon Optional- A touch of Unsweetened Whipped Heavy Cream
Place your dish in the freezer for 5 minutes.
Place the scoop of Gelato in the chilled glass.
Return to the freezer for 15 minutes.
Minutes before the Gelato is hardened, pull a shot of espresso.
Let it cool while you wait until the full 15 minutes is up. (this will probably only be a couple minutes after pulling the shot)
If you will be serving with whipped cream, go ahead and whip up some heavy cream while you wait.
Remove the Gelato from the freezer and anoint it with the warm espresso.
Top with the whipped cream and dig in with your spoon.
- Wake-Up Call: Apple Cider Doughnuts
- 5 Pancake Recipes That Will Make You Want To Wake-Up
- 5 More Perfect Panna Cotta
- Ricotta and Pear Cake from Southern Italian Desserts
- Five Fabulous Fig Recipes
- Monday's 5 Must-Read Blog Posts
- Thrifty Thursday: DIY Panna Cotta
- 5 Perfect Panna Cotta
- Easy and Refreshing Watermelon Granita
- Rich and Decadent Chocolate Gelato
- Caffe Affogato
- Tartellette Croccanti Con Pere Cremose
- Long Fusilli With Italian Sausages
- Poached Pears
- Fresh Cherries in Limoncello with Whipped Cream
- Pasta with Peas and Italian Sausage
- A Savory Italian Appetizer
- Sweet Strawberry and Peaches Verrine
- Plantains in Sweet Syrup
- Pumpkin Banana Protein Oat Bars